Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2008, 11:05 AM

Roxy - your opinions please

Most of you know that Roxy's liver is enlarged and that she is losing weight, and my thoughts on that.

The vet we saw last night who gave us this diagnosis is not Roxy's normal vet.

Roxy was seen less than three weeks ago for her yearly jab, and was thoroughly examined (more so than last night) at the time. Dean (who is her regular vet) never mentioned an enlarged liver.

My question is, wouldn't it have shown up then? Or is it something that can "just happen"?

I hardly ever see the other vet, but last night was an emergency, IMO, so I had to see her. I don't want to bad mouth her, but I feel her examination of Roxy was a little cursory.

I have an appointment with Dean tomorrow morning at 08:50 to get the blood test if he says it's necessary - I will feel much happier when he has had a look at Roxy.

I value your opinions please - thanks
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2008, 11:35 AM
Sounds to me you already know what you are going to do. Getting a vet you trust to look at her seems a very sensible plan to me.

Hope things aren't as bad as the other vet thought
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2008, 11:46 AM
What a worrying time for you Vicki, I can not imagine a worse thing.
Vets like doctors are not magicians or wizards and they can make mistakes and miss things. Especially something that is internal, if the external signs are normal.
These things can happen quickley, although internally the problem would have existed more than likely for a bit of time, eventually external signs start to display.

My great uncle had a tumour on his brain, quite enlarged, and he didn't have any outward signs until he passed out while driving, and crashed the car he was driving, injuring the other driver. Scary.
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-01-2008, 11:48 AM
i hope every thing turns out okay imo and thru experiece always have at least 2 different vets opinons
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2008, 11:52 AM
Hi Vicki.
I think your dogs have had some sort of tummy bug haven't they? That in itself could enlarge a liver that wasquietly struggling to cope...I'm guessing the vet felt the liver was enlarged when he palpated her abdomen?

If it was me I would see your normal vet tomorrow, but ask for bloods to be done to check her liver (and perhaps renal function too) in an elderly dog, I think having bloods done quite regularly is a good idea, as it can alert you to problems that you would not know about otherwise.

A liver, as I'm sure you already know, lets you know an awful lot about what's going on generally... an infection anywhere will tend to show in the liver.
I would definitely get bloods done if it was me.

Hope this helps.
Hugs x
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2008, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Hi Vicki.
I think your dogs have had some sort of tummy bug haven't they? That in itself could enlarge a liver that wasquietly struggling to cope...I'm guessing the vet felt the liver was enlarged when he palpated her abdomen?

If it was me I would see your normal vet tomorrow, but ask for bloods to be done to check her liver (and perhaps renal function too) in an elderly dog, I think having bloods done quite regularly is a good idea, as it can alert you to problems that you would not know about otherwise.

A liver, as I'm sure you already know, lets you know an awful lot about what's going on generally... an infection anywhere will tend to show in the liver.

Hope this helps.
Hugs x
Agree with Ramble. Best wishes xx
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-01-2008, 12:20 PM
Agree with Ailsa too.I think you will be happier when your normal vet has looked at her done the bloods and and then discusses with you the results.
Another day will make no difference and you said she seemed a bit better this morning so maybe it is an infection lets hope so.
Thinking of you.xx
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

10-01-2008, 12:45 PM
Hi Vicki.

Hope this helps.
Hugs x
I think that sums it up. A second opinion when you see your regular vet will help. I hope you have some good news from the blood tests.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2008, 12:52 PM
Hi Vicki.

Hope this helps.
Hugs x
I agree with Ailsa Vicki, I would gert your usual vet to do bloods anyway at least that way hopefully you will have a better indication of what going on , good luck hun, xxdk
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2008, 01:25 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Roxy I didn't know any of this before, so sorry I missed it

Back in April last year, Georgie was acting kind of strange, not himself, so I took him to the vets as an emergency one night. His temperature was 42 (very high) and the blood test they did showed that his liver enzymes were up, and one reading had gone completely off the scale!!!!! She said something was definitely wrong, but the only way they would KNOW EXACTLY what it was, was to keep him in and do a scan on him the next morning. They did the scan, shaved his belly, and discovered he had an enlarged liver. He was immediately put on liver tablets and ab's and 6 weeks down the line all was back to normal. Now I know something was wrong for quite a while because he had gone very lazy when we were out, couldn't run, always wanted to lie down, so I'm glad it eventually showed up with that high temperature for me to know there WAS something wrong with him. The reasons they gave me for his condition was the over-use of steroids all his life as of course, any drugs go straight to the liver to be digested.

Now if my vet which is a RVCS Hospital knowsw that they couldn't tell me if his liver was enlarged WITHOUT a scan, then how the hell does your vet know that then just by a blood test???? Could be anything wrong with the liver when the enzymes are high, not just an enlarged one!!!

I hope you can get her sorted, and see someone who knows their job properly, and maybe it might be an idea to ask for a scan like Georgie had?

So sorry Vicki, let's hope it's something they can sort with tablets like they did with Georgie. He'll always be prone to this though they told me, so I just have to keep an eye on him. All the very best, big cuddles for Roxy, dear old girl.xxxx
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >