Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2010, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by Freyja View Post
I am most likley talking to myself now but I know you are not mind readers but I did actually post a picture of him in my second post on this thread. If I had had him as a young pup and only had him for 6 weeks as stated he woul only be 16 weeks now his breeder doesn't let them go until they are 1o weeks. I would have thought common sense would say that the photo is not that of a 4 month old pup.

There is no need to reply as I shall not be coming back I asked what you would do if you were a judge and were confronted by a dog with this problem. The question was not actually about my dog he was just an example it was just a general question. As I have stated on more than one occasion we know exactly how and when Buck broke his tail but still people were insistant that it has not been broken it is a kink and he has had it al along he hasn't it was broken when he was attacked by another dog.
No, you are not talking to yourself, it would have been nice to see an apology of sorts for being so rude to my previous posts but thats not going to materialise so I'm not going to sugar coat my response to you!

Had you stated in your original post that you had bought him from a friend, his tail had been broken in an accident, that you were intending showing him, and asked for an opinion from those that judge as to whether he would be penalised then it would have painted a clearer picture for those of us that offered our considered opinion.

For those of us that aren't mind readers we thought it looked like a kink and said so..pardon us for jumping to conclusions. We also were concerned that, if it were a break, what medical intervention had been made as we know that breaks can be extremely painful...again, we weren't to know that he had been checked out because it wasn't mentioned in your opening post.

You had already made up your mind to show him, regardless of whether he is at the end of the line up every time and getting a reputation for being the dog at the end of the line, because he is of a breed that are numerically small at shows you think he will do well..whoopie do!

You may be lucky and be the only dog in the class, then you will get your 1st place if the judge decides not to withhold, so you will then get your critique in the dog press, or you may get known as the owner of the dog that has the prize withheld every time they are the only one in the class. It doesn't matter whether your dog is one of a breed that only has a few shown, if he has a fault that judges consider to be serious then he will do nothing in the breed, surely it is better to win or be placed in a class of excellent specimens than to win a 1st because you are the only one there?

As others have tried to point out, some judges may look past the tail, but if I were judging, it would be too obvious to me to overlook and would be penalised but, hey ho, as you say, its your money, your reputation so why bother asking for opinions in the first place?
tokiayla
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2010, 10:27 AM
If you were judging at a show and a dog in the ring had a tail that had a sometime been broken. I mean a tail with a kink or bend in it rather than been amputated but in every otherway was a good example of the breed would you knock the dog for it?

I am not talking about half way up the tail I mean at the end.
I'm going to answer this based purely on your first post....

If I was a judge (which I'm not ) I guess I would be judging to the breed standard.
So yes, I would think I would penalise for the tail, as I wouldn't know if it was a kink or broken, so would assume it was a kink.

I guess all you can do is give it a go and see what happens!
Freyja
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-12-2010, 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
No, you are not talking to yourself, it would have been nice to see an apology of sorts for being so rude to my previous posts but thats not going to materialise so I'm not going to sugar coat my response to you!

Had you stated in your original post that you had bought him from a friend, his tail had been broken in an accident, that you were intending showing him, and asked for an opinion from those that judge as to whether he would be penalised then it would have painted a clearer picture for those of us that offered our considered opinion.

For those of us that aren't mind readers we thought it looked like a kink and said so..pardon us for jumping to conclusions. We also were concerned that, if it were a break, what medical intervention had been made as we know that breaks can be extremely painful...again, we weren't to know that he had been checked out because it wasn't mentioned in your opening post.

You had already made up your mind to show him, regardless of whether he is at the end of the line up every time and getting a reputation for being the dog at the end of the line, because he is of a breed that are numerically small at shows you think he will do well..whoopie do!

You may be lucky and be the only dog in the class, then you will get your 1st place if the judge decides not to withhold, so you will then get your critique in the dog press, or you may get known as the owner of the dog that has the prize withheld every time they are the only one in the class. It doesn't matter whether your dog is one of a breed that only has a few shown, if he has a fault that judges consider to be serious then he will do nothing in the breed, surely it is better to win or be placed in a class of excellent specimens than to win a 1st because you are the only one there?

As others have tried to point out, some judges may look past the tail, but if I were judging, it would be too obvious to me to overlook and would be penalised but, hey ho, as you say, its your money, your reputation so why bother asking for opinions in the first place?
I know I said I wouldn't be coming back but had to reply to this .

If you read back through my posts you will see that I did state on more than one occasion that the tail had been broken when he was attacked by another dog and that he had been treated by the vet.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2010, 10:43 AM
I know I said I wouldn't be coming back but had to reply to this .

If you read back through my posts you will see that I did state on more than one occasion that the tail had been broken when he was attacked by another dog and that he had been treated by the vet.
But I never questioned that, I never questioned your or his breeders integrity either!
Freyja
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-12-2010, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
But I never questioned that, I never questioned your or his breeders integrity either!
You said had I stated that he had come from a friend and that he had broken his tail in an accident then people mayhave been different I did on several occasions say this but it was ignored as people were adament they were right.

I apologise if you think I was being rude but I was trying to get people to listen to me in the fact that we knew how the injury had happened and he had treatment but everyone seemed to decide that if it was a break he had had no treatment.

I will also say the one thing that no one has picked up on is he is way too fat and as such will not be shown for a long time yet.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2010, 11:13 AM
havnt read all posts....

.... yes i would penalise for the tail..... thats the way it goes imo.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2010, 11:55 AM
You said had I stated that he had come from a friend and that he had broken his tail in an accident then people mayhave been different I did on several occasions say this but it was ignored as people were adament they were right.

I apologise if you think I was being rude but I was trying to get people to listen to me in the fact that we knew how the injury had happened and he had treatment but everyone seemed to decide that if it was a break he had had no treatment.

I will also say the one thing that no one has picked up on is he is way too fat and as such will not be shown for a long time yet.
Thank you I was talking about your opening post though, I do see that you added the the thread as people were making comments. You will see from my posts that I never questioned a break or treatment, I was probably typing my replies when you were responding to others.

There are no perfect dogs in the world, but there are some excellent specimens and, if you are fully prepared that you may come up against them then that is fine, you will not be upset if your boy isn't placed.

Henry is, in my eyes, an excellent specimen, however, the first time I met him I felt his eyes were lighter than I am used to and would want. He has the liver nose and pigment so gets away with his copper eyes rather than almost black which I am used to. Some could penalise him for that but others would just accept that its a factor of being a light orange belton.

Different judges view things differently, unfortunately, tails whether they are gay, low set or bent seem to be one of the things that can throw an otherwise excellent specimen totally off balance to the eye.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-12-2010, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by Freyja
Because I have been more or less accused of being stupid or blind by people asking if I realised if he had a problem with his tail, People saying it is not a break it is a kink when I know he broke his tail and how it happened. My best friend has been accused of not telling me the truth when I believe her and would trust her with my life.
Sadly you have given a typical response to "not liking the answers to your question" you "asked " you "received" then cam back guns blazing, because you did not like what others have said.

You have not been criticized or called stupid, nor were you asked if you knew you had a problem with your dogs tail....... you told us, asked us for our opinions.

It looks like a kink to me too, if it is a break, and your breeder had it seen to by the vets, then your problem is solved, her vet will have it on record, so you will be able to get your letter.

Or take dog to your own vet, and have it x rayed, that will also answer your question.

As for the dog being penalized, as others have said, its your dog , your money, you take your chance, some judges will penalise him, some my not...

As for commenting on your dogs weight, you must be joking, your response to the question you asked was bad enough, can you imagine if anyone told you your dog was to fat
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2010, 01:49 PM
A bred a dog with a kinked tail last year who was sold to a pet home and the restriction said it couldn't be shown as it was a breed fault.
As a judge I wouldn't place a dog with a kinked tail either and before you jump down my throat and say it's broken as a judge I wouldn't be aware of it. If it met the breed standard and was the best dog there I'd ask to see a vets letters.
Freyja
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-12-2010, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Sadly you have given a typical response to "not liking the answers to your question" you "asked " you "received" then cam back guns blazing, because you did not like what others have said.

You have not been criticized or called stupid, nor were you asked if you knew you had a problem with your dogs tail....... you told us, asked us for our opinions.

It looks like a kink to me too, if it is a break, and your breeder had it seen to by the vets, then your problem is solved, her vet will have it on record, so you will be able to get your letter.

Or take dog to your own vet, and have it x rayed, that will also answer your question.

As for the dog being penalized, as others have said, its your dog , your money, you take your chance, some judges will penalise him, some my not...

As for commenting on your dogs weight, you must be joking, your response to the question you asked was bad enough, can you imagine if anyone told you your dog was to fat
I have said on at least 8 occasions during this thread that the tail was broken when he was attacked by another dog. It was queried either myself or his breeder was aware of the problem when I bought him. To which I answered yes we knew and also know when this occured still people insisted it was a kink.

To be honest I don't know why I keep replying to this thread as I know it doesn't matter what I say you have all decided that it is a kink and that is the end of it.

As for his weight when he came to us he resembled a little staffie he was that fat we know he is a little fattie and if and when he is shown it will not be untilhe looks somewhat more like the breed he is supposed to be.

Oh and I know someone who shows an iggie that stands with its front feet at 10-2 and wont even let anyone touch it that is always placed at shows. I think I break in his tailis a lesser fault if I had to have a dog with a fault
Page 5 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 >