Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 10:47 PM
Originally Posted by Freyja View Post
There is no IF I am going to show him.

I show a whippet with a kinky tail and its never gone against him in far bigger classes than Buck will ever go in.
Why the attitude? I wish I hadn't bothered replying to your thread
Freyja
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-12-2010, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Then you will have no problem getting the necessary paperwork from her Vet which will eliminate all confusion on the judges part.
I have never been asked if my whippet has broken his tail and if I have paper work tosay he has so why should my iggie need.
Freyja
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-12-2010, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
Why the attitude? I wish I hadn't bothered replying to your thread
Because I have been more or less accused of being stupid or blind by people asking if I realised if he had a problem with his tail, People saying it is not a break it is a kink when I know he broke his tail and how it happened. My best friend has been accused of not telling me the truth when I believe her and would trust her with my life.

My question was if you were a judge would you knock a dog for having a broken tail not for myself or my friend to be critised and for people to be accused of not telling me the truth.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 10:54 PM
I have never been asked if my whippet has broken his tail and if I have paper work tosay he has so why should my iggie need.
Oh dear, its just not worth it is it. Whippets have kinked tails too, why on earth would a judge ask you if its been broken? Its not his job to ask you questions, its his job to assess your dog. Some may see a kinked tail as more of a fault than others.

Likewise other exhibitors wouldnt be so rude as to ask why you are exhibiting a dog with a kinked tail.

Not much more to say really, you made your mind up before posting, you dont like the truth being told to you by way of the opinions you asked for either. In a numerically small breed you may well be placed anyway.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 10:55 PM
Because I have been more or less accused of being stupid or blind by people asking if I realised if he had a problem with his tail, People saying it is not a break it is a kink when I know he broke his tail and how it happened. My best friend has been accused of not telling me the truth when I believe her and would trust her with my life.
Not by me you weren't, all I said it was it looked like a kink to me, and then mentioned about settagirls boy Jamie having a break and being in pain...then I wished you luck in the show ring. I can't see why I would have antagonised you into reacting like that.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 10:56 PM
NO you damn well havent, at no time did I imply you were stupid, dont be so silly, you just have issue now with people giving you an honest opinion. I have had a kinked tail dog myself. I had NO idea about it at 8wks, the breeder told me, otherwise I would have only found out as the dog grew and it was more apparent. I, nor anyone else here knew the breeder was a good friend either so please dont imply otherwise.
Freyja
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-12-2010, 11:01 PM
NO you damn well havent, at no time did I imply you were stupid, dont be so silly, you just have issue now with people giving you an honest opinion. I have had a kinked tail dog myself. I had NO idea about it at 8wks, the breeder told me, otherwise I would have only found out as the dog grew and it was more apparent. I, nor anyone else here knew the breeder was a good friend either so please dont imply otherwise.
You asked if either myself or the breeder were aware of his tail when we had him. He is 9 months old and I have had him for 6 weeks. Do you really think I wouldn't notice he had a broken tail when we got him and for the 6 weeks he has been living with us. He most certainly hasn't done it here. You are also constantly saying it is a kink when we know when and how his tail was broken and for which he received treatment for

I asked if you would with hold from a dog with a broken tailnot for my friend or myself to be critised. And yes I had already made up my mind to try showing him.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 11:05 PM
You asked if either myself or the breeder were aware of his tail when we had him. He is 9 months old and I have had him for 6 weeks. Do you really think I wouldn't notice he had a broken tail when we got him and for the 6 weeks he has been living with us. He most certainly hasn't done it here.

I asked if you would with hold from a dog with a broken tailnot for my friend or myself to be critised. And yes I had already made up my mind to try showing him.
I didnt know how old the dog was NOW, something else you didnt mention. You ONLY said you had had him 6 weeks, for petes sake what do you expect us to be, mind readers? You said:

To be honest it is my iggie and we knew about it when we first had him 6 weeks ago. It didn't look to obvious but now OH says it is worse I don't think it is
You said you knew about it when you had him, thats all!!!

Just do as you please, you have already made up your mind anyway.
Boxacrazy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-12-2010, 08:09 AM
Any judge should be judging each breed to it's breed standard so if a 'kinked' tail is described as a fault within that breed standard then your boy will be penalised accordingly. (Remember some judges will not know the tail is broken)

The reason for getting a letter from the vet is if the tail is broken then there is a valid reason for a 'kinked' appearance (i.e. a break) and not a hereditary/developmental fault.
I.E. in the breed standards it asks that males have two normal descended testicles...if the dog is neutered the judge can't know if the dog had two normal ones..some dogs will have a veterinary letter to confirm this was the case prior to neutering. Some judges then will make allowances for this. But if the letter isn't shown prior to the class being judged then the judge will again penalise the 'fault' as they see fit.

You may be lucky in that some judges won't penalise the tail but equally you will have to accept to some judges the tail 'fault' may be a fault that that particular judge can't stand and will penalise more heavily than other faults other dogs may have in the class.
Afterall each judge that you exhibit under is giving you their opinion of your dog against their interpretation of that breed's standard. If you have a letter from the vet it may help your dog in not being penalised if the judge decides that your dog's tail is kinked in their opinion as they have only 3 minutes to decide and won't know your dogs medical history.

The showing game is an expensive one and people were only giving you their experiences as exhibitors and judges.
At the end of the day you pays your money you takes your chances - but if your dog doesn't do as well as you hoped you will have to accept that some judges may well be marking your dog down because of his tail.
At that point you will have to decide if you want to continue and are happy to pick up the lower placings or no placings. Some will say yes they are happy to as they enjoy their hobby and day out. Others will say they'd rather save their entrance money and spend it on treats/toys etc for the dog instead.

At the end of the day the choice is yours.
But if you ask for others opinions you have to accept that some will differ from your own especially if they are not 'in the know' about the facts that you have. They can only make judgement on the facts that you have presented to them.
Freyja
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-12-2010, 09:47 AM
I didnt know how old the dog was NOW, something else you didnt mention. You ONLY said you had had him 6 weeks, for petes sake what do you expect us to be, mind readers? You said:

You said you knew about it when you had him, thats all!!!

Just do as you please, you have already made up your mind anyway.

I am most likley talking to myself now but I know you are not mind readers but I did actually post a picture of him in my second post on this thread. If I had had him as a young pup and only had him for 6 weeks as stated he woul only be 16 weeks now his breeder doesn't let them go until they are 1o weeks. I would have thought common sense would say that the photo is not that of a 4 month old pup.

There is no need to reply as I shall not be coming back I asked what you would do if you were a judge and were confronted by a dog with this problem. The question was not actually about my dog he was just an example it was just a general question. As I have stated on more than one occasion we know exactly how and when Buck broke his tail but still people were insistant that it has not been broken it is a kink and he has had it al along he hasn't it was broken when he was attacked by another dog.
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >