Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Freyja
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-12-2010, 09:18 PM

Broken tail

If you were judging at a show and a dog in the ring had a tail that had a sometime been broken. I mean a tail with a kink or bend in it rather than been amputated but in every otherway was a good example of the breed would you knock the dog for it?

I am not talking about half way up the tail I mean at the end.
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 09:26 PM
If there was an equally good but unbroken tailed dog there I would place it higher ....

The concern would be that it might be a fault rather than a healed injury ... but in the grand scheme of things if everything else was good, I certainly would not automatically put the dog down the line ... I suspect many judges would not even notice ...
Freyja
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-12-2010, 09:50 PM
To be honest it is my iggie and we knew about it when we first had him 6 weeks ago. It didn't look to obvious but now OH says it is worse I don't think it is.

This is the only standing photo I have of him.

It is more obvious on this photo. I say most judges wont even notice it but OH says they will
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by Freyja View Post
If you were judging at a show and a dog in the ring had a tail that had a sometime been broken. I mean a tail with a kink or bend in it rather than been amputated but in every otherway was a good example of the breed would you knock the dog for it?

I am not talking about half way up the tail I mean at the end.
That would depend if you are CERTAIN its been broken. Ive seen "kinked" tails in Borders, Dobermanns, Boxers, Whippets, a Gordon Setter and an Irish Setter. These are congenital defects that should be penalised. A break is an accident, and can be accompanied by a vets letter to prove that. Kinks can occur anywhere along a tail, and can be hardly noticeable to very severe.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by Freyja View Post
To be honest it is my iggie and we knew about it when we first had him 6 weeks ago. It didn't look to obvious but now OH says it is worse I don't think it is.

This is the only standing photo I have of him.

It is more obvious on this photo. I say most judges wont even notice it but OH says they will
That looks like a kinked tail.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
That would depend if you are CERTAIN its been broken. Ive seen "kinked" tails in Borders, Dobermanns, Boxers, Whippets, a Gordon Setter and an Irish Setter. These are congenital defects that should be penalised. A break is an accident, and can be accompanied by a vets letter to prove that. Kinks can occur anywhere along a tail, and can be hardly noticeable to very severe.
It is something to watch out for in Ridgies too
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 09:58 PM
It looks like a kinked tail to me too..and I'm pretty certain that would be penalised in the show ring
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 10:02 PM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
It is something to watch out for in Ridgies too
Didnt know that.
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
It looks like a kinked tail to me too..and I'm pretty certain that would be penalised in the show ring
Im sure it is and its a severe kink.
Freyja
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-12-2010, 10:06 PM
Its defintitely a break he did it at his breeders when we collected Willow Buck's tail straight. Whe you feel it you can feel a lump. One of her other males literally raped him and broke his tail at the same time.

One of my whippets has a hook at the end of his tailand its never stopped him he has done well in the ringhis isa kink and he has had it since he was young.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 10:09 PM
So what treatment did he receive, remembering he would have been in absolute agony.

Kinks can and do appear as lumps.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »