Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lemaniepie
New Member!
Female 

01-07-2009, 12:08 PM

Problems with walking puppy

Hi everyone.

We are just starting to take our puppy, Honey, a border terrier who is nearly 14 weeks old, on walks to get her introduced to the world and to begin getting used to a lead etc. She is pretty good going away from home normally but she pulls like mad when it's time to turn back. It doesn't matter if we change routes all the time and every day, she seems to know exactly when she's returning home (obviously a better sense of direction than me at times!) and pulls like crazy.

I was just wondering whether anyone had any suggestions as to why she might be doing this or how we can work on this as we're worried she'll get hurt as she pulls so hard, or are we just being over concerned and she's just being a puppy?

We do the stopping when she's pulling, which has worked on the way out, but has no affect on the way home. I can't find a harness small enough to fit our dog, otherwise I would try this.

Any help would be fantastic.

Thank you.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-07-2009, 04:08 AM
Pulling the dog backwards or reversing direction is highly effective too. It is very important you take a zero tolerance stand on the pulling now. Leave yourself plenty of time to get back. Concentrate on teaching the puppy not to pull, not getting somewhere.
DogBoy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-07-2009, 08:08 AM
I am just getting through this stage now with my pup, not pulling is important especially for me as i need a hip and my back is fubar. I did the reversing direction tactic and tbh it has taken Lilly a few weeks to get it, i found having a treat in one hand just above her head was enough to gain her attention and keep her focused on me and not towing me home. It has taken a while but i have been persistent and it is starting to pay off but this is my first pup and i'm sure someone will be along soon to give you some better advice
viktory
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-07-2009, 07:52 PM
I am using clicker and treat training with Ruby. She is great on her daily walks but a nightmare when I go anywhere different. I figure it will take some time and effort.

NB A harness has been a Godsend - as soon as you can get one to fit buy one.
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2009, 09:17 PM
My Mini Schnauzer, Pepper, was a puller but the minute I got her a harness she stopped! No idea why and I know it doen't work for every one.

My 3 have the fleece lined harnesses from
www.Dog-games.co.uk

and if they have them small enoughth for an Affen puppy a Border will be no problem!

This is Enzo in the perfect fit one...

and this is Gozo in size 0

and I couldn't leave out my big girl, Pepper in purple!

Hope it helps!

J