View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2009, 07:19 AM
Hi, pleased to hear your getting your new dog soon, we have just got a rescue dog and have another dog as well. We introduced our dog to the rescue dog as soon as we knew we were getting her and let them have a sniff of each other and then when we brought her home we just left them to get to know each other.

We have a field near our house and we let the rescue dog off her lead for the first time and she just stayed and played with our other dog.

Hope all goes well when you bring him home.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 07:46 AM
No advice just wanted to wish you and Moon well
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 10:15 AM
Thanks guys, all great advice, I think we'll go for leads down the field, off lead in front yard, then inside the house. Tennis courts are a good idea and we do have some near us but they are locked at all times except for the occassional game and knowing the type of people who play there, I highly doubt they'd let me on the court, let alone my dog,lol!

Fingers crossed, i'll keep you all updated
spot
Dogsey Veteran

16-04-2009, 01:05 PM
You must be sooo excited after the long wait!

Think the advise has been great and I would also back up what has been said. Whenever we have introduced fosters to our pack we will lead walk first allowing them to sniff and check each other out before taking in to the home. I would be wary of letting him off lead for a while yet if no where secure. You may not realise the weird and wonderful things that could spook him, with one of mine it was black bags (dont even want to think about that one)

Regarding him being nervous of men I would if possible let him approach Colin in his own time, I know its tough as all you want to do is fuss a new dog but try and allow him to go at his own pace.

You may of course have a few problems with him being in totally new surroundings so again let him adjust slowly and try not to push him into any situations he is not yet comfortable with. Try to pick up on any signals he gives that all is not well and take it back a step.

Slow and steady basically and hopefully Tsala will show him the way. Good luck and well done for taking him in.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2