Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-08-2013, 12:10 PM

Bee sting on bank holiday!

Just been on the field with Ella and she got stung by a bee! The sting was still in her paw and I had to take it out. The looked really sorry for herself but I didn't think it would be that bad, having been stung by bees numerous times myself.
But the paw is now swollen up and she's not putting it down. She seems ok otherwise, no signs of a severe allergic reaction, but the swelling has expanded over her paw, not just on the side where she got stung.

Should I be worried? It's obviously a bank holiday so I'll do a double think before I go to the vet, so if anyone has any tips what to do I'd greatly appreciate it.
I've already put an ice pack on it but that seems to bother her as her leg started shaking..
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2013, 12:36 PM
Poor Ella Its good you got the stinger out and put the ice pack on it.Probably best to keep a wee eye on her.Hope she's o.k xx
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-08-2013, 12:49 PM
Hi Florence , have you got any bicarbonate of soda in the house to bathe/soak the paw, this will help to neutralise the sting.
Start by making a paste of bicarb and water, apply then hold the paw to prevent licking and leave the paste on for a few moments, now bathe the paw.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2013, 01:01 PM
I always understood bee stings to be more serious than wasp stings?

Baking soda is good - so is an ice pack.

Bee stingers are barbed and it's the small amount of poison that causes the pain and they say if you squeeze it when getting it out you inject more poison.

I think the rule of thumb is - if the swelling continues and doesn't go down after a few days you should take the dog to the vet in case it has developed an allergic reaction.
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-08-2013, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by Eileen Duffy View Post
Poor Ella Its good you got the stinger out and put the ice pack on it.Probably best to keep a wee eye on her.Hope she's o.k xx
Thanks, she seems ok so far apart from the swelling so I'll keep an eye on her!

Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Florence , have you got any bicarbonate of soda in the house to bathe/soak the paw, this will help to neutralise the sting.
Start by making a paste of bicarb and water, apply then hold the paw to prevent licking and leave the paste on for a few moments, now bathe the paw.
Ooh thanks, I didn't know that! I'll give it a go

Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
I always understood bee stings to be more serious than wasp stings?

Baking soda is good - so is an ice pack.

Bee stingers are barbed and it's the small amount of poison that causes the pain and they say if you squeeze it when getting it out you inject more poison.

I think the rule of thumb is - if the swelling continues and doesn't go down after a few days you should take the dog to the vet in case it has developed an allergic reaction.
Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it. She seems ok so far, sleeping on the sun patch now, but the swelling isn't nice. It seems to have stopped growing now though so hopefully it'll just get better from now
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2013, 05:20 PM
How is she Florence?
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2013, 05:43 PM
No worse apparently Eileen - going by the latest update.

Bee Sting on your Bank Holiday is better than a Bee Sting on your Bum!

*seriously did have a cat that got stung on the mouth one time. She was not a pretty sight. But it didn't seem to bother her (took her to the vet anyway and they did precisely nothing!)
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2013, 05:52 PM
No worse apparently Eileen - going by the latest update.

Bee Sting on your Bank Holiday is better than a Bee Sting on your Bum!

*seriously did have a cat that got stung on the mouth one time. She was not a pretty sight. But it didn't seem to bother her (took her to the vet anyway and they did precisely nothing!)
My Lace got stung by a nettle once..I'm sure it hurt..but My God the limping went on forever Heaven forbid she'd get stung by a bee or wasp,think she'd have to be admitted into intensive care
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2013, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by Eileen Duffy View Post
My Lace got stung by a nettle once..I'm sure it hurt..but My God the limping went on forever Heaven forbid she'd get stung by a bee or wasp,think she'd have to be admitted into intensive care
Funny you should mention Nettles. Last year (in the atrocious wet never ending winter in the UK) the nettles were EVERYWHERE and it seemed to me that dogs weren't bothered by them? I was laying down old newspapers on my daughters grass to cover them so Bella wouldn't walk on them lol! But she was still poking her snout into them in the borders.

Where did Lace get stung?

*hmmm it could be I've found a bigger WIMP dog than Bella for when they get the SLIGHTEST problem!
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2013, 06:04 PM
Funny you should mention Nettles. Last year (in the atrocious wet never ending winter in the UK) the nettles were EVERYWHERE and it seemed to me that dogs weren't bothered by them? I was laying down old newspapers on my daughters grass to cover them so Bella wouldn't walk on them lol! But she was still poking her snout into them in the borders.

Where did Lace get stung?

*hmmm it could be I've found a bigger WIMP dog than Bella for when they get the SLIGHTEST problem!
Wasn't long after she'd been groomed,not to much hair on the little legs Walked through some long grass and got stung on her leg limped so much,I ended up carrying her
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >