Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2007, 12:39 PM

unvaccinated dogs and puppies

I've been asked if I can help with fostering a staffy x pup (absolutely adorable) he's 13 weeks old but not yet fully vaccinated.

Eddy was vaccinated about a year and a half ago, and Takara was vaccinated nearly 2 years ago but I have not had any boosters done since.

I was told that because they were done relatively recently, they'll be ok with an unvaccinated pup but I'm not so sure and don't want to put pup at risk.

I have to get permission from the sensible one who also happens to own the house anyway but fostering would do Takara some real good because she's good once she's got used to dogs being around the house.

Like I said I don't want to put pup at risk so if it's not going to be safe because mine haven't been done within the last year, then I won't do it.

Any advice?

Thanks.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2007, 01:11 PM
Personally I think too much hype is based on Jabs.

The 'new' thinking is that boosting every year is too much for most dogs to cope with internally, which is why they are introducing the 3 year jab.

There is lots of controversy about jabs flying about so have a little look at this link. Some good info on there about Jabs

http://www.canine-health-concern.org.uk/

Hope this helps :smt002
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2007, 01:26 PM
Depending on what boosters they recieved many are covered up to 3 yrs anyway You could look in your vaccs book for the make and do a quick search on the product info, you may be able to find something out about the ones your dogs received last.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2007, 02:18 PM
All my girls are vaccinated every 3 years, when we have litters and the pups are up on their feet, they mix with my older girls, not had a problem so far.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2007, 02:56 PM
Both my dogs are vaccinated annually. Personally, I would always have my dogs vaccinated this way, unless the vet advises me otherwise. As it stands, there is greater evidence to suggest that dogs should be vaccinated regularly.

When we acquired Roxy, our crossbreed, we learned that she hadn't received any vaccinations in her 7 years (long story about how we came to keep her, so I won't go into that!). We got her vaccinated about a month after she came to us.

A friend of mine had two terrier crosses. Both were vaccinated at the beginning, but were never vaccinated again. They lived very healthy lives right up until the end. The dog lived till 18 and the bitch 16. (The dog has not long gone).

I think both your dogs should be fine though (just my opinion - I am no vet!), providing they are in good health just now. However, if you have doubts, then don't foster the pup.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. (Watch out though, you may become too attached to let her go!).
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2007, 07:50 PM
Westie, out of interest, what evidence is there to suggest that annual jabs are better than 3 yearly jabs ???
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2007, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
Westie, out of interest, what evidence is there to suggest that annual jabs are better than 3 yearly jabs ???
Sorry, I meant annual vaccinations were better (in my opinions and my vets) than no vaccinations at all, and from what I have read and going by the information given to me by my vet, it seems to be to be the best thing to do for my dogs.

As you are probably aware, regular vaccinations protect the dog from a number of diseases, including certain forms of leptospirosis, even though it's not that common nowadays, I think it's far better to have dogs vaccinated against it. (My dogs have this vaccination yearly).

I think there is a certain booster that my dogs have every every 3 years, forgive me that I can't remember what it's called.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2007, 09:01 PM
Westie do you mean you jab for Lepto yearly but everything else every 3 years ?

If so, that's the more common now.

There has been lots of studies on this, and the reason for the recent change was that lots of dogs were having convulsions after having annual jabs, as the dog's system could not cope with the amount.

I think we also need to remember also that apart from our Vets diagnosing problems they are also sales people who will try to sell more jabs and the dog food THEY recommend, because they get sponsored for it
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2007, 07:54 AM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
Westie do you mean you jab for Lepto yearly but everything else every 3 years ?

If so, that's the more common now.

There has been lots of studies on this, and the reason for the recent change was that lots of dogs were having convulsions after having annual jabs, as the dog's system could not cope with the amount.

I think we also need to remember also that apart from our Vets diagnosing problems they are also sales people who will try to sell more jabs and the dog food THEY recommend, because they get sponsored for it
The vet I use has been our family vet for decades and I trust him to advise me of the right course of actions for my dogs. We've never had any problems with him.

Regarding the latter half of your post, when I was talking to my vet about what type of food would be beneficial to my Westie needs, and out of all the foods he suggested, none of them were the ones he sold in his practice.

As i've explained, I trust my vet. When I first got my Westie, I also was interested in getting her spayed. Putting aside what I had already read up on, he gave me both sides of the issue, which led me to the conclusion that having my dog spayed would be the best course of action for me, and my dog. I never intended to show or breed her, so therefore I think it would be unfair to put her through seasons twice a year and not letting her do the deed from time to time! Obviously spaying is a major operation, and I thought everything through very carefully before I decided to have her spayed. For me, the pros outweighed the cons, and still do.
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2007, 09:40 AM
I didn't know there was a 3 year jab, maybe my vet is thinking £££ rather than what's best for Jack, but when we had Jack's booster done, he said that when we have it re-done, it should be with in the 12-15 months mark, after that, he would have to have the full course again and not just the booster, from reading others replys this sounds a bit OTT.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »