Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-10-2008, 07:12 PM

Off lead walking

How far do you think it is desirable/acceptable for a dog to roam with walking with you off lead ( assuming no nearby roads etc)? 10 metres ahead? 20? 30? or more?

And how far ahead does your dog roam when given freedom to do so? I have seen quite clingy dogs, walking almost to heal the whole time, and others who disappear out of sight. Others adopt the middle ground.

Are you happy for your dog to go out of sight, or are you more comfortable if you can see him the whole time?

Just something I was thinking about while walking the dog today, and seeing lots of other dogs.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2008, 07:18 PM
Depends where I am.

My local walks which I know well, know there's no dangers etc, I don't mind not being able to see them all the time (though it is only one of them that likes disappearing into bushes, the other is very rarely out of my sight).

If I'm somewhere new, or with more dogs around, I do prefer them where I can see them.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2008, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by skilaki View Post
How far do you think it is desirable/acceptable for a dog to roam with walking with you off lead ( assuming no nearby roads etc)? 10 metres ahead? 20? 30? or more?

And how far ahead does your dog roam when given freedom to do so? I have seen quite clingy dogs, walking almost to heal the whole time, and others who disappear out of sight. Others adopt the middle ground.

Are you happy for your dog to go out of sight, or are you more comfortable if you can see him the whole time?

Just something I was thinking about while walking the dog today, and seeing lots of other dogs.
I need to be able to see my dogs to feel comfortable. Mine are quite confident and would themselves go quite far given a chance (Though they do check where we are). I call them back if I think they are going too far.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2008, 07:21 PM
When my whippets were young they could be away for 5 - 10 mins in a safe area that we usually walked in .
It very much depends on the dog and the area , I have a little puppy at the moment that I like to see at all times
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2008, 07:21 PM
the only time ben shoots off is when he sees one of his doggy pals. or a squirrel then hes off like a rocket.
normally he walks near me as he knows i hve treats in my pocket. and he dont want to miss out on a treat LOL
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2008, 07:25 PM
I prefer them to be in sight, my boy normally roams approx 20ft - 30ft away but never much more than that. He does constantly run back to us though
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-10-2008, 07:57 PM
I panick if they run off. I like them where i can see them. Hec is never more than 10 steps in front, he looks back prob every 10 seconds.
rottalmarotts
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-10-2008, 08:12 PM
Having Rotties and ACDs I don't have to wonder where they are cos they are always checking where I am. Think it is their protective natures. Cattle Dogs are not known as blue heelers in Oz for nothing they do literally heel from the day they are born more likely to fall over them than lose one lol
Callum
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-10-2008, 08:35 PM
The Malinois we have would and does go a good distance. Our staffy doesnt go as far but average run from me on the hills isnt much more than 150m.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2008, 08:45 PM
We're really lucky ours are off lead walkers, Reah is a heal walker, and Skye and Bruce are just in front, none of them go out of sight and watch where we are, Probably the Herding/keeping in sight instinct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >