View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
samperry
New Member!
Male 

27-01-2012, 06:49 PM

Please help my Staffy.Lots of detail (demodectic mange)

Hi
I am looking for any information regarding my staffy. He is 12months old rescue dog. This is his problem he has been diagnosed with demodectic mange from the skin scrapes. Here is the following information
24.11.2011 collected Henry from kennels, has mange, was given 2 doses of Advocate & Maleseb shampoo

15.12.2011 neutered & skin scrap confirmed mange

17.12.2011 1st vaccination

6.1.2012 2nd vaccination/ changed food and detergent for bedding to hypoallergenic

8.1.2012 anti histamine as has started scratching

10.1.2012 Dermisol cream used for 2 days advised against use as contains hydrocortisone

16.1.2012 anti biotic injection & Piriton 2 daily

18.1.2012 Aludex bath (unable to get further stock till April), skin scrape still has mange, anti biotic tablets Noroclace as itching (scratching & chewing incresing) (We can not get any Aludex until June unless anybody has any and I will pay for it??

19.1.2012 Panomec injection, more Piriton

20.1.2012 Promeris (drops) 1st of 3 administered monthly

still scratching & chewing till skin inflamed,swollen & bleeding, Henry is wearing a collar && sock in attempt to limit any injury.

Does anybody have any information that can help Henry on what we can do.

Thankyou

Sam
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2012, 06:55 PM
Hello Sam, sorry I can't help you but I just wanted to say, well done for rescuing and I hope Henry is better soon.

I'm sure it won't be long before someone comes along with some ideas.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-01-2012, 07:55 PM
Hi Sam and welcome to Dogsey well done for giving Henry a home .

Henry has seen a lot of changes in a short time which may have been stressful for him . Stress can put the immune system under extra pressure and this can adversely affect dogs with demodectic mange .
He is very young and I would think there is a good chance that with your existing care and medication, good food, a calm atmosphere and time you will see a big improvement in Henry's mange

You may find this thread of interest though the two dogs are very different in age ..
http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=162468
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2012, 09:14 PM
So sorry to hear about your poor staffy, but well done for giving him a forever home.

I rescued a gsd many, many years ago, with terrible skin problems, but over the years, we've kind of managed to keep it all under control, but since he turned 13 he also got demodectic mange, which the vet has told me is due to his cushings. Apparently, ALL dogs have demodectic mange, according to my vet, it's just that my dog's immune system what with the cushings and his other skin problems, are unable to keep it at bay like any other dog would.

He is already on a small daily steroid dose, so that helps with the mange, BUT, he has been on ab's, Cephacare (sp?) since April this year, on and off, we got it down to one week in 3, but then his body rejected them, they just don't work anymore, so what's the point. These aren't cheap, they are £50 for a week's course, and the vet said there's nothing he can do about it, he always let me have them at cost. They did work though, initially, so maybe ask your vet about these particular ab's?

The very best advice I can give you is to go and get a big bottle of Hibiscrub from Sainsbury's (It'll be called something else, and without disturbing my dog out in the bootroom who is asleep for the night, I can't tell you what! Sorry!). Give him a thorough bath/shower with this stuff, it kills just about everything, and I have found it to be invaluable for keeping it at bay with my current boy, but I'm doing it once a week religeously, and if you can, so should you until you see the skin return to normal, which it should.

If he's got immune disorders, then of course, the Piritons and the steroids will help enormously. My poor dog has lived on steroids since puppyhood apparently, otherwise he'd have chewed himself raw all over.

Fuciderm ointment from your vet will calm down and clear any really angry hot spots, but of course, you can't slap that on all over, it only comes in a regular tube, you'd need a bucket of it! It's fantastic stuff for this though.

You MUST get rid of the cruddy bits on the outer edges, brush them all out, pull them off, as my vet explained to me, this mange works outwards, and my poor dog loses all his fur as I deal with all the dark red scabby bits.

This is not the same as the sarcoptic (sp?) mange which is contageous, so you've no worries there, it's purely there because your dog cannot fight it off, so it takes over. I have a 2nd gsd who has lived with him for 3 years and never scratched once in her life, so I know that for a fact!

All the best, I'm here to help if you want to ask anything else, I'm a bit of a geru on itchy dogs - sadly!
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2012, 09:29 PM
Diesel had mange....It's horrid! He had a scrape when he was about 4 months old. He's 5 in June.....

I had to bath him weekly in that aludex, until I noticed his fur growing back, then advocate once a month for 18 months. I did all that, and on the vets advice I stopped furthur treatment.

He still has the odd bald patch, especially around his ears, but it's a lot better than it was.....
kim drury
New Member!
Female 

27-01-2012, 11:42 PM
we are in the same boat we are trying to get a bottle of aludex .and cant get any till april. mange is awful but advacate once a week .and bath in malaseb every 2 days .we also have just started useing EXMAKID onitment on the open sores you can buy it from pets at home its brilliant, its soothes the skin and stops the itch, but dog must not lick it ,so we put cream on after we put the cone on overnight...if your dog has sores on his face use johnson baby shampoo on that part .thats what we do and its really helped ... hope it works for you . ps the cream is smelly but its worth it .also do not let your dog have any steriods as they will boost the mites,trust me as for 9 mths my saint was treated for allergy's and given steriods for a very long time which calmed the problem down but dident cure it ..my new vet told me that steriods do so much harm when the dog has mange....it takes a long while to get rid of but since the end of november with new treatment my saint has inproved ...good luck ..
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-02-2012, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by samperry View Post
Hi
I am looking for any information regarding my staffy. He is 12months old rescue dog. This is his problem he has been diagnosed with demodectic mange from the skin scrapes. Here is the following information
24.11.2011 collected Henry from kennels, has mange, was given 2 doses of Advocate & Maleseb shampoo

15.12.2011 neutered & skin scrap confirmed mange

17.12.2011 1st vaccination

6.1.2012 2nd vaccination/ changed food and detergent for bedding to hypoallergenic

8.1.2012 anti histamine as has started scratching

10.1.2012 Dermisol cream used for 2 days advised against use as contains hydrocortisone

16.1.2012 anti biotic injection & Piriton 2 daily

18.1.2012 Aludex bath (unable to get further stock till April), skin scrape still has mange, anti biotic tablets Noroclace as itching (scratching & chewing incresing) (We can not get any Aludex until June unless anybody has any and I will pay for it??

19.1.2012 Panomec injection, more Piriton

20.1.2012 Promeris (drops) 1st of 3 administered monthly

still scratching & chewing till skin inflamed,swollen & bleeding, Henry is wearing a collar && sock in attempt to limit any injury.

Does anybody have any information that can help Henry on what we can do.

Thankyou

Sam
How is Henry doing? I hope he is getting better.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2012, 09:31 PM
He may have an allergy as well which is common in staffies. I have a staffie with dreadful skin. She too came with sore and inflamed skin and pus filled spots and itching until she bled. He feet were swollen and red and itchy and she chewed them frantically. She was treated for mange despite clear skin scrapes, put on antibiotics and steroids. She improved with these but as soon as they stopped it reappeared. The she was back on antibiotics and steroids. She had 3 cycles of these and I had enough. I decided to change her diet. I was certain it was allergies although my vet disagreed. I ignored him and tried a cereal and grain and rice free diet......and it worked! She stopped itching as much, her skin is pink instead of red and her feet are now normal pink and she doesn't chew them anymore!
I also started her on salmon oil daily. She is vitually bald but her fur is now growing back and she so much more comfy.
I also bathe her once a week in DermOpt shampoo which you can get off the net and have the spray in between.
I now feed her just Butchers Tripe (the ones without rice only). The only one she doesn't have is the beef one, she gets the squits with this.
Another thing which is good to stop itching is Dermacton either soap or shampoo.....the soap goes a lot further. That along with the cream helped Coco massively when she was really bad....but the best thing I did was change her diet.
Why don't you try an elimination diet? Most of the hypoallegenic stuff in the shops that I've seen have flaxseed in. I don't buy them because of this. Every seed, wheat, corn, rice has been elimiated and it's really helped.
Good luck...hope you get him sorted xxx
kim drury
New Member!
Female 

07-02-2012, 10:05 AM
my saint Bernard has demodex mange and is now on the road to recovery. we shampoo him once a week in malaseb and apply advocate once a week .. he had one aludex dip and like you cant get hold of any-more ,i put on my status on [a social network] asking people to ask there vets if they had any in stock and i was lucky enough to get one bottle sent to me ...bear was given antibiotics until all the swellings went down, we also washed the open sores in baby shampoo as it doesnt sting and does help soothing the skin . we also apply a cream that we brought from pets at home its called EXMARID ointment it helps heal open sore skin and its worked for bear. its hard going but dont give up and its hard work .bear wares a collar overnight and if i leave him during the day as i wouldn't trust him not to scratch . we used to put socks on him aswell.. the sos fish oils help aswell and good quality food .also mayb ask your vet for different antibitics as they do get immune to them...good luck hope this helps.