Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tubsy250
New Member!
Female 

14-01-2014, 09:51 AM

Whining at night after 6 weeks

Hi can anyone help please. We have a 5 month French Bulldog who is gorgeous and doing really well except a little dog aggression which is being conquered with puppy lessons BUT every night in the last six weeks of putting him to bed he cries and barks for about 10-15 minutes. He does settle and doesn't start again until about 6.30 am but each night he will not just settle down. His bed is in a utility room but no appliances are on while he is in there. Has anyone any ideas how long it might take him to get used to it.
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-01-2014, 10:04 AM
Hi and welcome

Has he been going in there since you got him?
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2014, 10:08 AM
Hi,Welcome to Dogsey
The wee monkey
Not sure how long it will continue but sounds to me like he's just kicking off at being left. The fact that he settles after a bit would suggest he's given up Worse thing you could do I imagine is go back down to him,will only reward him for making a fuss. Will grow out of it I reckon
Tubsy250
New Member!
Female 

14-01-2014, 10:14 AM
We have been doing it since we got him. I just struggle as he's just so lovely and wants to be with us. I guessed he was trying his luck !! As he does give up. So really just persevere.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2014, 10:22 AM
You said it yourself...he just wants to be with you As long as you know he's safe,warm and well,he'll be fine.Give them inch sometimes they'll take a mile Don't give in
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-01-2014, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by Tubsy250 View Post
We have been doing it since we got him. I just struggle as he's just so lovely and wants to be with us. I guessed he was trying his luck !! As he does give up. So really just persevere.
If that is where you want him to sleep then perseverance and not giving in is the answer! You only have to give in once...

Good luck and please let us have some photos of your little lad!

Oh, and

tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

14-01-2014, 10:40 AM
Do you shut the door on him, if you do, maybe putting a babygate up instead may help as he can see whats going on then.
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-01-2014, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by Tubsy250 View Post
Hi can anyone help please. We have a 5 month French Bulldog who is gorgeous and doing really well except a little dog aggression which is being conquered with puppy lessons BUT every night in the last six weeks of putting him to bed he cries and barks for about 10-15 minutes. He does settle and doesn't start again until about 6.30 am but each night he will not just settle down. His bed is in a utility room but no appliances are on while he is in there. Has anyone any ideas how long it might take him to get used to it.
He is still a baby, are you sure he dog aggressive or is it play fighting? How are you dealing with this? As the crying has only been for the last 6 weeks it could be related.

He needs company, can he sleep in your bedroom, possibly in a crate then as he gets older you can start to move the crate nearer and nearer the door, then slowly to were you want him to sleep.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2014, 11:16 AM
Have to say I disagree Mattie...why move the goalposts when you don't have to?OP has set the ground rules,puppy sleeps in the utility room.Its not like he's stressing all night,10/15 mins and he settles to 6.30 in the morning.Personally I think he's doing amazingly well.Imagine changing the routine now will confuse him...just my opinion
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2014, 11:23 AM
I don't think ten minutes' whining is much of a problem. Some kids whine for longer than that when put to bed (hoping mum will come back!)

Bella goes bananas in the car as I slow down and stop. But, as soon as I am out of sight she shuts right up and settles down. It's as if they 'try it on' and do their best to get you to relent and then given up when they realise you aren't going to.

In the case of Bella and the car I find it a bit puzzling as she is usually only in the car when we are going somewhere wonderful for her. But I think it's come about because the very first times she was ever in the car were always when I had to leave her in there while I nipped in somewhere without her as she either couldn't come with me or was too young to be put down among dogs and on dirt.

So she probably now associates being in the car with being left in it - even if 99% of the time she is not!

The only dogs I've had that didn't sleep in the bedroom were my GSDs. 20 odd years on, I can still remember how much they howled the street down when left in the kitchen at night until they got used to the fact they were not coming upstairs with us.

I do not think doing a U turn and allowing your dog to sleep in your room after starting them off sleeping alone is a good idea personally. Start as you mean to go on. As I said it's not as if they are keeping the whole street awake all night or becoming so distressed they are ill. Sounds like just complaining to me.

**edit to say Hi Lacey! Or ... what Lacey said - that!
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > Last »