Our sister sites
Our sister sites
princesscheche
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-07-2010, 06:57 AM

Started crying during the night?

hi there,

The first 2 nights we had chloe she whined all night and then settled and hasnt don eit since .. that was 6 months ish ago.

Last night she constantly howled, whined and dug up the skirting board around her bed.

In the end I had to sleep downstairs to keep her company.

Any ideas behind the sudden change of behaviour? Interested in your thoughts.

thanks, sheryl x
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-07-2010, 07:37 AM
Originally Posted by princesscheche View Post
hi there,

The first 2 nights we had chloe she whined all night and then settled and hasnt don eit since .. that was 6 months ish ago.

Last night she constantly howled, whined and dug up the skirting board around her bed.

In the end I had to sleep downstairs to keep her company.

Any ideas behind the sudden change of behaviour? Interested in your thoughts.

thanks, sheryl x
Hi Sheryl , Chloe must be 8 months?
Has she had a season in the last few weeks (if so may be a false pregnancy)
Could you have a mouse behind the skirting board,
How is she is this morning.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2010, 08:39 AM
As Mini asked, is she coming into season?

When my Bo was in season, she went through a brief period of howling and barking in the middle of the night. It was quite a distressed bark and given how loud she is, I had no choice but to come down and see to her. After I came down and sat with her for a moment, she was normally quiet afterwards. I still don't know exactly why she did it (hormones? calling for a 'mate'?), but as it happened only during the middle week of her season, it was most certainly related to it. Thankfully all was back to normal after she finished her season.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2010, 10:18 AM
My first reaction would be a potentially false pregnancy. I had an afghan who suffered terribly with these.

Hope you get it sorted

princesscheche
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-07-2010, 11:38 AM
Hi guys,

She's about 2-4yrs old (rescue, not much history) and I had her speyed the week we got her. We have had her since mid february.

I was thinking maybe with all the muggy weather we are having maybe she was sensing a thunderstorm or something had disturbed her ... It certainly was out of character. We usually enjoy a very quiet night save for the odd cat on the patio which she can see from her bed...

She went to bed as usual, slept for about an hour and then started ...

At first i thought she wanted to go out so i let her out - she came straight back in .... I found she had toiletted (both kinds!) on the floor overnight at some point after this which is unlike her too now - initially she did this all the time and we had to retrain her which took a long time.
princesscheche
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-07-2010, 12:02 PM
sorry, my hubby just also made a valid point worth mentioning (unlike him! ) Over the last few days chloe has been stashing food and hiding her chews/jumbones/treats .. some behind furniture, some actually buried in the flower beds .. she leaves them a few hours, returns, digs em up and relocates them ....

poor lamb!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2010, 08:53 PM
Hello there, I am wondering if you have pipes under the kitchen floor? It is not unknown for dogs to hear subterranean noises from water pipes and become distressed - digging up the floor is one of the symptoms. Also the weeing and pooping is a sign of worry and stress, and with our own rescue dog we had some months of him doing this at night, and also when we left him during the day (which we now cannot do incidentally ). He has is now fine at night, but it has taken seven months of strict routine so that he knows exactly when we will turn up in the morning!

Is there any way that you can relocate her sleeping area to another part of the house for a short while? Just to see if it makes a difference. Obviously, it is a risk to put her somewhere carpeted. However it may simply just be a case of your dog being unsure about everything, and worrying over whether you have left her on her own. The moving around of her treats etc. is another sign that she is not relaxed and feeling safe yet, so perhaps the answer lies in strict routine and lots of love.