Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-07-2006, 02:23 PM

Laptop Problems...

My Uncle has a Toshiba Laptop purchased perhaps 2 months ago...he only uses it for e-mailing or reading websites like those run by national newspapers etc...

When he returned today to use the laptop, it has a light on it where the power button is but, it will not boot up and the screen remains blank.

He's tried unplugging all connections and waiting and starting again but the same thing happens.

So far he's always used the mains electric rather than using the internal battery but even today when disconnected from the mains(I assume the battery has kicked in)all he can see is the red light on the power switch...It uses the Windows XP Operating system.

Any help is appreciated...
ceiron
Almost a Veteran
Male 

28-07-2006, 02:25 PM
sounds dead.lol

take it back under warranty
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2006, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by The Great Gildersleeve
My Uncle has a Toshiba Laptop purchased perhaps 2 months ago...he only uses it for e-mailing or reading websites like those run by national newspapers etc...

When he returned today to use the laptop, it has a light on it where the power button is but, it will not boot up and the screen remains blank.

He's tried unplugging all connections and waiting and starting again but the same thing happens.

So far he's always used the mains electric rather than using the internal battery but even today when disconnected from the mains(I assume the battery has kicked in)all he can see is the red light on the power switch...It uses the Windows XP Operating system.

Any help is appreciated...

I have a Toshiba laptop too and it goes on standby after a few minutes and I think the power button goes red then - has he tried pressing the power button again to see if it will go blue again or pressing one of the keys or something
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-07-2006, 07:24 PM
if i undrstood your post right it works on the mains but unpluged will not boot from the battery there is a problem with some laptops and the xp sp2 it effects a few makes i dont know if toshiba is one of them you can find out by writing an e.mail to them and they will tell you with the laptops that had this problem i just uninstalled the sp2 and they work fine (the problem is known by the companies concerned )

here are a few having problems as well

http://forums.computingreview.com/showthread.php?t=128
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-07-2006, 10:58 PM
Hello Fred,
The latest is that he took it back to Curries and they are doing a what sounds to me to be a reformat(after saving his links and other things such as e-mails etc...)and hopefully he gets it back tomorrow.

Funnily enough, I was offered a reformat last Friday which I still could do but my problem though it looked like a fault with the desktop pc was being caused by an external hard drive but gave the impression the main pc was to blame.

My repairman fixed it and spent an hour with me and did not charge.

My Uncle's laptop was not working on electric or on its battery.

Though it was working earlier in the day.

Its all new to him and he's really getting the bug, he was really disappointed when he could not get on the net.

Thanks for your input...
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-07-2006, 08:22 PM
Latest report is that the laptop though only 6 - 8 weeks old is going back to Toshiba for a repair!

I think to go wrong so soon, guarantee or not, I would've pressed for a new one or a refund. And now that he has been enjoying the computer and net and really getting into it...he's really missing it already...
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2006, 08:29 PM
I agree Gildy, I would have pushed for a brand new machine! He paid his money for brand new, fault free and thats what he should get. It makes me mad that you have to press for the service that you should be given automatically!!
ceiron
Almost a Veteran
Male 

29-07-2006, 08:31 PM
lol i win though.lol

depends on the fault really as to the repair.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2006, 08:32 PM
Yes I would have pressed for a new one too - you shouldn't have to accept a repair on a machine so new. Perhaps if he gets directly in touch with Toshiba they might send him a new one.
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-08-2006, 01:03 PM
My Uncle has his laptop back. He was passing the shop and called in on the off chance and found it was still away and they were talking of maybe a couple of weeks for the repair.

As he waited for his bus home and it was due in around 3 minutes, he had a call on his mobile. And was told that practically as he walked out the shop the courier arrived with it fixed.

The excuse given was that the cd/dvd drive unit needed replacing.

So my Uncle is happy and all is well with the world...for now. The laptop has been all the way back to Toshiba for the repair. In reality, I suspect that they contract out repairs and it will have been repaired at some service centre.