View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

19-08-2015, 08:21 PM

Dogs that can work door handles AND door knobs.

I'm going to have to do some DIY.

In and out of the back door is fine and I can obviously lock it.

The front has to remain locked at all times.

Internal doors are less of a concern but it's a right pain when he (Mij) can pretty much access the whole house whenever he wants.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-08-2015, 10:15 PM
Milan ( Dobermann) used to open the french doors after I'd locked them. I had to take the key out of the door because she used to use her teeth to turn it, then paw at the handle.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-08-2015, 03:38 AM
My beautiful boneheads, two dogs topping fifty pounds and if the back screen door is ajar they don't realize they can easily put a paw under and open it. They'll stand on the other side whining pitifully until a human opens it. I think the cats could figure it out easy. For you I would suggest child-proofing latches.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-08-2015, 08:18 AM
My friend used to have locks on all her internal doors as her boxer could open them (and the oven door and steal the sunday roast mid cook!)

she got her after she was rehomed from someone who couldnt keep her in (she would open windows/doors and let her self out to wander the neighbourhood if she was left alone)

My donut wont even get a chewy from under the kitchen chair, he will bark at you till you get it out for him
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2015, 08:57 AM
My Jade is dumdumdumdum. A door can be cracked and she doesn't realize all she has to do to get through is nose or paw it open. Her nose and part of her head can fit and she still doesn't get it. She will cry and yell until someone opens it wide enough for her to get through. This is especially funny if you stand RIGHT in front of her and keep calling her. Once she tried to get through and managed to slam it shut instead, effectively locking herself in.

Nigredo easily opens the door and the cats of course also can easily open these, my poor Jadey Bunny just isn't the brightest girl. We have a broken door that's off the frame that can be shoved open even if it's closed, and Nigredo knows how to blast right through it. Neither of them can use doorknobs, thank goodness. Had a foster GSD named Hank who could do that (and also get into the fridge) and it was a nightmare. Easy to see why nobody wanted him. He didn't stay here for long either.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-08-2015, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
I'm going to have to do some DIY.

In and out of the back door is fine and I can obviously lock it.

The front has to remain locked at all times.

Internal doors are less of a concern but it's a right pain when he (Mij) can pretty much access the whole house whenever he wants.
My sons springer is the same and jumps up with paws to open latches .
The door from the kitchen to garden is a sliding door so very easy to push open once the latch is mastered, He starts it off with his head then gives it a sharp nudge with his body sending it sliding .

Chloe on the other hand who is a bit thick won't even squeeze through any door which partly open (roll) she barks to have it fully opened
Sue L
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2015, 11:17 AM
benn there done that and worn the t-shirt. First thing I did was turn the handles upside down, when she worked out to push up with her nose I changed the handles to round ones that stopped her. Sage, Dobermann learnt to open the fridge so put child locks on that. Good luck
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2015, 09:43 AM
Ive two cats can open any internal doors - then all the cats & dogs get out all Over the house!
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

22-08-2015, 11:40 AM
I toyed with upside down ones but it's a lot of work given he'll probably suss them out fairly quickly. I'd change them all for round ones but he can already open the round ones we have. Locks may be the answer but with 4 kids - they would be a problem as they'd either forget to lock them or be forever locking each other in or out of rooms.
Seacrow
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-08-2015, 11:29 PM
We have a baby gate in the hallway to restrict Willow to half of the house. You can't get ones tall enough that she can't jump over, so we raised it a couple of feet by putting a piece of plywood underneath. We have to step over every time, which is a pain, but I console myself that it's helping with my fitness.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >