Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: How do you show your dog
strung up 0 0%
loose lead 6 50.00%
depends on the dog 4 33.33%
use a combination 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2005, 03:35 PM

Strung up or loose?

I was wondering what your views were on showing with the dog "strung up" on the lead, or shown on a loose lead. Does it depend on the dog, it's age or how enticing the smells are on the floor?
Many Dalmatian judges prefer to see the dog move naturally on a loose lead so the head falls into the correct position and the front action is true, at Crufts one year we were told "LOOSE LEAD" by the rather stern judge as we set off down the triangle. As Polly needs a bit of a jerk to get her moving, this was a bit of a problem!
However, many still do string up their dogs, or at least seem to, but it's not always easy to see how much tension there is on the lead.

perhaps some junior handlers can put me right!

Gill
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-09-2005, 03:55 PM
I think a lot depends on the breed many terriers (and Min Schnauzers)are shown with the lead high ..I think the reason is it helps keep the 'head up tail up and square' apperance and line... where as in many breeds you want the head more forward slightly down and a 'flowing' line.

NB I am not that in my opinion this it is the correct thing to do, just that this is 'how it is and has been for a very long time'
Ice_Queen
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-09-2005, 04:07 PM
Ahhhhh this topic is very dangerous!!!

I persoanlly like to see a dog on a loose lead, however by a stringing a dog up do you know how many faults you can hide? (lets just say alot!!!!)

Even when a dog is on a "high lead" where the lead is above it's head you don't need it tight, but there for control as with this position you have the most control with your dog

If a dog is strung so tight it coughs and cokes (as seen in handling ring alot) then that is not acceptable.

If its there to be tightend to control a dog fine.

Personally it depends on dog, situation and what you need to hide...

if your a judge look carefully at the dogs moved on a loose lead awaya nd tight lead back.... A good handler hides ALOT!
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2005, 05:04 PM
Strung up is very frowned upon in the elkie ring...loose leads all round!
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-09-2005, 05:54 PM
It's loose leads in the Irish Setter ring and strung up in the Yankee ring, but I have to say I would show a dog on whichever suits the dogs best. I have an American Cocker bitch that will not move strung up, just won't tollerate it, so it's a loose lead for her.

I will qualify the strung up by saying that an American Cocker should move one pace ahead of the handler, so the lead ought to be sloping back albeit taught, but not held vertical so as to lift the front feet off the ground.

Dawn R.
China
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2005, 05:11 AM
with showing bull terriers its always a loose lead
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-09-2005, 08:18 AM
some string up in the leo world but most dogs move with their heads at a good level.
we hold the lead high but not strung so it is a bit of both,i couldn't string my dogs up and expect them to move well so i prefere a loose lead if the dog follows then you dont need to string it up to move it.
i haven't seen one strung so tight that its gasping if i did i wouldn't be happy.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2005, 01:19 PM
As Archer said loose lead in the Elkhound ring both moving and stood, stringing a dog up causes the dog to move in an uncharacteristic manner and you would be doing the dog no favours at all. Elkhound movement is or should be business like with the head held quite low and the gate powerful and sustained.