Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lindamacdonald
New Member!
Female 

10-08-2010, 10:14 PM

My dog killed another dog

Well my story is not very nice I am afraid. I pressed in words and it sent me to this site. Last nite, my 4 and a half year old siberian husky, my 8 year old daughter and myself were on my front lawn. The dog was running her laps enjoying herself and playing with my daughter, I was sitting on the lawn checking them. My dog has always stayed within our territory of the front lawn, I have never put a leash on her as I am always there next to her. A lady was about 15 ft from us when Princess and I saw her and she was walking a tiny dog. Princess ran up to the dog and shook it. I screamed at her at the top of my lungs and she released the dog. I put Princess in the house and went back outside. The owner, an elderly woman, was crying so much and the dog was yelping. The lady asked me to bring her to the vets, so me and my daughter and the woman and dog all went to the vets. I explained in the car that my dog has never shown such behaviour, we were all very emotional. The vet took the dog right away. I waited for a while but was not been given any news. The lady called her daughter, it was going to be a long wait, I was being looked at like a murderess for being the owner of a big dog that attacked a small dog. I gave the woman taxi fare if her daughter were to not show up and left her my phone number and me and Alexandra left. I sat outside, totally in despair. A neighbour came to see me and told me that dogs were predatory and she went for the little dog as if it was a squirrel. Or, that seeing my dog often took the heads off of my daughters furry play animals, she was re-enacting the same act. Today, I went back to the vets to find out what had happened after I left. I was told the dog was paralysed and had been put to sleep. I came home thinking that if the woman lost her dog it was only fair for me to lose mine and that Princess was a murdering dog. Any help in this matter will be greatly appreciated as I do not know if I should keep Princess or have her put down also.

Thankyou
Linda
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2010, 10:22 PM
DId you research the breed before you bought one???

Husky's have a very strong prey drive..and are also one of the breeds reputed to be kept on a lead at all times..due to their prey drive and their ability to go deaf!!
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-08-2010, 10:24 PM
seems possible your dogs predatory drive just saw a small fluffy prey object.

need loads more info on your dogs temperament, lifestyle, and daily routines.

we dont really have open front lawns in the uk, so it does seem a shame that it is that easy for an innocent dog walking by can get got killed that way....
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2010, 10:25 PM
Firstly welcome to the forum, I am sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with Princess what an awful thing to witness and a terrible time for the owner of the poor dog.

However im of the opinion that you should not just give up on Princess yet, you say she never showed this sort of behaviour before, but instead get some help the breed are known to have a high prey drive (Did you know this when you brought Princess). Maybe work with Princess around other dogs with people that understand the breed or dog behaviour in general. But for the time being I would have her on lead at all times when out side the house and possibly muzzled just to be extra careful, this will help have Princess under control at all times.
Mese
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-08-2010, 10:28 PM
How awful for everyone involved

I certainly wouldnt put your dog down hun , she was just following her instincts
just make sure in future that she is securely leashed (and possibly muzzled) at all times when outdoors
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2010, 10:33 PM
Yikes, what a situation...

I'm slightly concerned about why you had a Husky off-lead in your unfenced front yard in the first place? An accident waiting to happen with that breed of dog especially.

I have to say that if one of my dogs killed another dog, I don't think I could keep them. That said, whether you keep the dog is up to you. If so, it will involve SERIOUS management on your part to avoid a terrible accident like this ever happening again. That means being restricted to your property (behind a fence/walls - not loose) and using a lead and muzzle at all other times.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2010, 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
we dont really have open front lawns in the uk, so it does seem a shame that it is that easy for an innocent dog walking by can get got killed that way....
Totally agree here.

It's a huge pity that this has happened but on an open lawn it was just an accident waiting to happen - not just because you have a Husky.... many other breeds would/could have reacted the same way.

There are good reasons why many people say Huskies can never be let off-lead in any but the most secure areas.
lindamacdonald
New Member!
Female 

10-08-2010, 10:55 PM
No, this dog was bought by my daughter when she was 19 years old, she had always wanted one. She moved out 2 years ago and left her with me, who is inexperienced with dogs. I tried to find another home for her a few times but to no avail.
STGSD
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-08-2010, 11:22 PM
Gosh what an awful thing to happen to all of you.

I would keep your dog, but as others have said, on a lead. And again as others have said, I would have thought a husky is to be kept on lead at all times anyway, so on your front lawn isn't the best place to let her be free if it is not secure. She could still play on your lawn etc, on a long line.
I would suggest you read up on the breed you own.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2010, 11:26 PM
I think to be honest you should listen to the advice o fthe other posters as I agree with them.

I think you should keep the dog but do some research on the breed. Make sur eyou know everythign there is to know about Huskys, keep her on a lead and muzzled when out and about or if she has access to other animals or people. After all, what if it had been a young toddler coming by?

The advantage to you (although it's not an advantage at all really) is that it was a dog that was hurt and not a person. Then it would have been no option for you. But with hard work, patience an dunderstanding, youshoul dbe able to keep Princess and work with her.

If I were you, I'd also offer to pay the full vets costs and replacement cost of the dog. I know th dog cannot be replaced but it may go someway to show how sorryyou are that this happened.

Also, maybe your daughter should think twice before being so irresponsible in future. She bought the dog because she's always wanted one?! Did she know anythign abotuthe breed before she bought Princess? I get the impression that she didn't. And then to dump her dog by leaving her with you, is very poor ownership.

If you want to rehome Princess, then you could try the relevant breed rescues local to you if there is one or even contatc her breeder (who should be the first port of call).

Above all else, please make sure you learn from this. We all make mistakes but if you learn what went wrong and why then you can do something about it.

For example, at training this evening a 9 month old Akita bit (not badly but enough to cause damage) on of the trainers. The owner didn't even apologise. He tried to bite last week and the owner still turned up this week with the same dog, no apology and no muzzle. Furthermore, she let him off lead in the middle of the class.

So you see - some people will just never learn. But if you try to put things right and learn from your mistakes, then you can improve and you never know, you may find with a bit of hard wrk, that you want to keep Princess.

It may also be worth getting her involved in training, obeeience, flyball, agility etc. There are lots of activities for dogs that Princess may be very good at and would help build the bond and trust between you.

Laura xx
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »