Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
clcorn
New Member!
Female 

25-08-2013, 08:51 PM

Portuguese water dog owner with ?'s

Hi, I have a 7 year old Portuguese Water Dog who is a great energetic smart and loving dog. He, however, has had a problem recently with biting. He got thrown out of doggie daycare because he bit one of the employees. I have to admit, he has a history of nipping (I don't like to say biting) people for what seems to me to be protective reasons. I had his thyroid checked and found out that his Thyroglobulin Autoantibody was extremely high. He was put on thyroid medication but I did not have the same lab retest him but rather had his vet do so instead and he said he was OK. That was about 10 months ago and he seemed to be better. I am planning on retesting him with the original lab as soon as I can.
Just wondering if any other portie owners have had any experience with aggression. I would love a pill to be the solution but in reality I know it probably is not that easy.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2013, 05:44 AM
WELCOME TO DOGSEY

Sorry can't offer any advice,hopefully other members will
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-08-2013, 07:19 AM
Hello and welcome. Unfortunately I can't offer any suggestions either, but I'm sure someone will be able to help.

I don't know much about Portuguese Water Dogs, but I've never associated them with any aggression issues. I know President Obama has now got a second one!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-08-2013, 07:27 AM

I am afraid I cannot help you either, but

Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-08-2013, 07:51 AM
Hello and welcome.....

I would forget it being a breed issue and more an individual dog problem.

I would go back and have a thorough examination from your vet again to see if your boy is suffering any health issues.

You say he has always been a nipper, what did you do to stop that, is this the same sort of thing or is it a different level?

What circumstances set his biting off...touching him, stroking him, walking past , and so on.

I would look at his health first. If that gets the all clear. Next step is a behaviourist to help you form a plan to stop the biting.

Good luck....
Cath
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-08-2013, 08:20 AM

Hi, it's good to see another PWD owner on here - sadly I can't help or advise as my dog is only 17 weeks and we are definitely still at the nipping stage which is ok for the age he is. Mine doesn't show any form of aggression apart from growling if people come into a room when I'm asleep, he's fine when they come in and he only ever does it if I'm asleep - I think he thinks he is protecting me.

Re his nipping though, I have been trying to use the bite inhibition method, the only problem is that when I say 'ow' and ignore him he jumps up at me all the more so we are not quite getting there.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2013, 09:14 AM
I hope you are able to get some help for your dog before this becomes a bigger problem. At 7yrs of age this is not puppy play biting and I think you should see this as 'biting' not 'nipping' if he got thrown out of daycare for biting someone.

Beautiful dogs but I know nothing about the breed. However as someone else said, I don't think you should look at this as a 'breed' issue. All sorts of breeds of dogs bite people!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

26-08-2013, 09:18 AM
Cacoll, turn your back on him when he jumps up, and keep doing it till he stops, then make a fuss of him once he is quiet.
Cath
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-08-2013, 09:23 AM
Thanks TW this is what I've been doing, think he's just slow to pick up on this aspect of training - I'll stick with it and am sure (!!) he'll get there
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

26-08-2013, 10:08 AM
He'll get the message, he probably has already, but is hoping that if he keeps on at you then you'll turn round. Is everyone else turning their backs on him as well, you need to present a united front at these times