Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2007, 09:37 AM

hypoactive.....your feeding thougths

was chatting to someone yesterday who was saying since changing dry foods to Iams their dogs seems hypo now i don't want to start an anti iams thread ...mine go a bit wild when i fed bakers once when it was on offer

i just wonderd if some foods ( whatever it is ) makes your dogs hypo
thought it would be interesting to see any down sides to what we feed
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2007, 09:40 AM
Iams (well it was eukanuba back then) made my first dog hypo. I think it has nothing to do with protein levels and everything to do with artificial ingredients. I've never had a hypo dog since feeding with no artificial ingredients.
Me on the other hand, I should listen to my own advice really lol!
Becky
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-02-2007, 09:41 AM
Well the additives/colourings in a lot of foods can make kids hyper... so don't see why it couldn't be the same for dogs?
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2007, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Iams (well it was eukanuba back then) made my first dog hypo. I think it has nothing to do with protein levels and everything to do with artificial ingredients. I've never had a hypo dog since feeding with no artificial ingredients.
Me on the other hand, I should listen to my own advice really lol!
Becky
becky have you been eating too many smarties then

i feed ukanuba for years looking back mine were mad but i think thats pos they they lived with me .....or maybe it was the food
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-02-2007, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
I think it has nothing to do with protein levels and everything to do with artificial ingredients.
That is what I think Ive been feeding mine on Timberwolf Organics Lamb and Apple for the last 5 months with a protein level of 28% and they are not any more hyper than they were on Burns infact I would say they are both pretty calm for boxers
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2007, 12:29 PM
When you say "Hypo", what do you mean by this term?

I use it to define bloodsugars of 3.5 or below in a person. So am slightly confused as to what it means if your dog is Hypo?
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2007, 12:55 PM
I think you probably mean hyPER rather than hyPO?
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2007, 12:56 PM
Eukanuba which also owns Iams is commonly known for causing increased hypo in dogs. Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole personally. My understanding is that Eukanuba is the up to date version in terms of new and improved and Iams is the older version.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2007, 01:17 PM
Yes some foods can cause hyperactiveness and some behavioural problems in dogs because of additives and colourings, [ and allergy/intollerance reactions in some cases ].
Thats why one of the things a good behaviourist or trainer always asks is what a `problem` dog is fed on as main meal and what treat types.
People often don`t realise treats are usually even more laden with additives, colours, ridiculous protein levels etc, so sometimes its the main food, sometimes its the treats, and if its both combined you can be looking at dogs climbing the walls like a chipmunk charging around a cage doing a wall of death impersonation.

If the dog you mention started changing behaviour soon after changing food, there`s the answer
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2007, 01:31 PM
thanks for the replies i found it interesting ....mine only have a gravy bone at bedtime I know i am a nasty mum
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >