Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-10-2011, 09:29 AM
No I don't feel guilty.
I have toyed with the idea of re-homing or fostering which I may well do in the future but that would not involve any feelings of guilt.
Up to now I have preferred selecting pups and rearing them without previous history.
So my small contribution to support rescue dogs has been donations and voluntary dog walking.
I do admire the selfless people who give a home, their time and finances to rescue a dog/dogs in need.

I would feel guilty if I was responsible for a dog being placed in to rescue.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-10-2011, 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by MickB View Post
We have 10 dogs from breeders (or bred by ourselves), 2 rescues and at least 2 rescue fosters at any one time. We also founded and run the biggest and busiest dedicated rescue in our breed.
We don't feel guilty at all. Good, ethical, responsible breeders (see here for our definition - http://www.shwauk.org.uk/buying_a_puppy.htm) are absolutely necessary to ensure the continuing health and attributes of the breed. Without them, (and left to the puppy farmers, backyard breeders and naive/greedy'stupid "pet" breeders) the breed would quickly degenerate both in terms of health and conformation and within a few generations would be unrecognisable.
Not only that, but the minority of good, ethical, responsible breeders do not in fact have any impact whatever on the rescue crisis within our breed. That crisis is entirely due to the huge majority of commercial breeders - whether small or large scale. Over the past two or three years the rescue situation has changed dramatically. Whereas ten years ago the majority of dogs coming into rescue were the products of a small number of well-known "volume" breeders, today probably 80% have been bred by pet owners who have put their unregistered, un-health-tested pet to a similarly bred male down the road. This is beginning to throw up increasing problems in health, conformation and temperament.

In short, we should be equally praising people if they rescue or if they do the research and buy a dog from a good, ethical, responsible breeder. We should save our anger and contempt for the unethical, irresponsible breeders and try our utmost to help the naive public from buying from these people.

Mick
You have some beautiful dogs up for rehome there Mick..
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
I do think you only feel guilty if you think you've done something wrong, so as long as your dogs come from a responsible source, whether from rescue, or breeder why should you think you've done summat wrong? And if you do feel you've summat wrong, why did you do it?
Giving a dog a home is NEVER wrong!

rune
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by dizzi View Post
The adoption/rescue parallel - it's really breathtakingly somewhere... well between naive and offensive.

I'm one of those people for whom I DO get the "pressure" (although it's not that - it's people opening their mouths before engaging their brain trying to be "helpful") to adopt rather than have a biological child - since it's so hard for us (and it looks like I'm currently in the middle of yet another miscarriage but don't know for certain yet)... to compare that biological urge to have your own genetic children (if it hits you and you can't do it it's like a steam roller but with added spikey painful bits) and even the trauma and intrusiveness and scrutiny of the adoption process (no one has to meet the right exact ethnic background to adopt a dog - not even in the most mythologically bad rescue in the land) is nowhere on the same planet or in the same universe as the most stringent homecheck going for any animal.

To even compare the two - belittles it completely in quite an offensive way.

I've rewritten this post umpteen times to try to verbalise what I'm thinking - and I still probably haven't done it well... and "quit trotting out the all rescue dogs have issues" rubbish too... quite a lot of them just ended up in the wrong house at the wrong time and got failed collossally their humans - yet they carry this stigma for the rest of their lives - because their "owners" failed them. THAT piddles me off.
Great post !

Personally i would never buy a puppy from a breeder, if i wanted a pup i would get one from a rescue. Both mine are rescue dogs from the RGT and Dogs Trust.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 12:33 PM
No I wouldn't feel guilty at all. No two dogs are the same, no two owners are the same. I actually have a rescue with difinite issues & a rehome at present, but thats to suit me. When I bred I gave help to breed rescue in cash or time, but it didn't stop me wanting to improve the breed & produce healthy pups. I also put restrictions on their new owners being able to breed etc but only till health checks were done. So having a dog from me only gave more indication of health risks etc than a rescue. I was equally fussy where they went.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 12:43 PM
As I will always (as long as it's practical) have a multidog household, I feel I should have a rescue dog within the pack. However, I do not and would not feel guilty going to a breeder either for a dog that had to fit specific requirements. It's just my own conscience, rather than a feeling of guilt placed on me by others, which shouts to me that there should be a rescue dog in my house.

Furthermore, my rescue came with no issues, apart from being timid but that behaviour merely involves her looking sheepish in situations she's unsure of. There's no aggression, no bad behaviour on any level and I trust her far more than the dogs I had from pups from breeders.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 12:45 PM
I dont think I shall "rescue" again until Alex (and any siblings) are much older. Purely because, yes a rescue can assess etc, but you never really know until the dog has been home for a few weeks. Yes I know dogs that have been had from pups can become problematic with kids.

OH and I have our list of breeds for the next few dogs, so we will be going to breeders
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 12:45 PM
It has been an interesting thread , I plan to have a pup in the future and I am pretty specific about what I want , not so much in terms of breed but in terms of being able to do agility. I will certainly make my first port of call a pup that needs a home rather than go to a breeder, maybe that is a risk but from all the things I have learned the last couple of years I now certainly know the right questions to ask , I think some of the problems with dog ownership do not come from where the dog originates from they arise due to the potential owner letting their heart rule their head and not doing any reseach as to what the future holds in dog ownership in terms of responsibilities, it does not matter where your dog comes from the important thing is how you care for it and take your ownership responsibilities seriously.

No one should feel any guilt about how they ended up with their precious woof , as long as they care for it responsibly and if we did not have reputable breeders think of all the wonderful breeds who would have been lost !
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 12:53 PM
I would feel guilty getting a pup from a breeder.

I got my boy from a rescue as a pup, for my next dog I would like a puppy again but not many pups come into rescue. There are quite a number of my breed in rescue and as much as I want a pup I would feel guilty knowing I could offer a home to a dog in need.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-10-2011, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by Wyrd View Post
for my next dog I would like a puppy again but not many pups come into rescue..
Do you mean Dali pups or pups in general?
Page 9 of 14 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »