View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2011, 08:58 PM

Covered for life budget Vs Covered for life supreme....

Whats the difference......

Which would be best? The supreme is almost double... will I really need it or is budget ok??

Vet fees: £4000 per year : £12000 per year

Complementary treatment: £750 : £750

Third Party Liability: £1mil per incident : £3mil per incident

Death from injury or illness: NO : £1000

Advertising and reward: £250 : £1000

Boarding fees: £250 : £1000

Theft or straying: No : £1000

Emergency Repatration: £500 : £500

Holiday cancellation: No : £1000

First quote is budget, second is supreme. Which would be best...... needed...... and why??
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2011, 09:50 PM
For the sort of dog you have I would say budget would be fine as the larger the dog the larger the vet fees eg for sedation, neutering, anaesthesia and usually the greater the risk of injury.
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2011, 07:47 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
For the sort of dog you have I would say budget would be fine as the larger the dog the larger the vet fees eg for sedation, neutering, anaesthesia and usually the greater the risk of injury.
Thanks for this.

The only biiiiig vet fee I have ever encountered was removing a lump from the family dogs leg and getting it checked. That was £300. I havent a clue about other things that could happen..... but I can imagine some things are alot!

JackieS
New Member!

16-05-2011, 10:50 AM
This year since January I have made claims in excess of £7000 for one of our dogs who has been very ill. He will also be on medication for the rest of his life at a cost of over £200 a month. I am glad that we chose the £12000/year lifetime cover. It is surprising how the vets bills can mount up and by having the level of cover we do at least so far I have not had to make a decision on how affordable a treatment is.

Also this year I know someone who had a very ill 4 month old puppy vets bills at present are in excess of £8000 and she only had £4000 insurance cover.

If you can afford the higher level of cover I believe you should seriously consider taking it. It is alway best to prepare for the worst and hope that you never need it.
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2011, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by JackieS View Post
This year since January I have made claims in excess of £7000 for one of our dogs who has been very ill. He will also be on medication for the rest of his life at a cost of over £200 a month. I am glad that we chose the £12000/year lifetime cover. It is surprising how the vets bills can mount up and by having the level of cover we do at least so far I have not had to make a decision on how affordable a treatment is.

Also this year I know someone who had a very ill 4 month old puppy vets bills at present are in excess of £8000 and she only had £4000 insurance cover.

If you can afford the higher level of cover I believe you should seriously consider taking it. It is alway best to prepare for the worst and hope that you never need it.
Thanks for this!!

I think I am going to go for the higher cover.... but pay monthly rather than all at once as my funds are dwindling after moving house, buying furniture..... (and buying ££££ lots of toys etc for new dog!). I usually pay everything annually....!
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2011, 11:53 AM
I have a friend on another list with two Chows who cost somewehere in the region of £300 pm for meds and blood testing etc. Thankfully for her, insured.

I would go with the higher level. Who are you looking to insure with?
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2011, 11:58 AM
I was looking at Pet plan.
JackieS
New Member!

16-05-2011, 01:25 PM
That is who my dogs are insured with. They have paid out very quickly on the claims I have put in, and for the 2 stays at vet hospitals that Toby has had this year, both hospitals have claimed direct from Pet Plan, so we haven't had to find several thousand £ up front.
Pet Plan is the only insurance company that they are happy to claim direct from.
Pet Plan is not the cheapest insurer but I do believe that you get what you pay for particularly with insurance and it certainly gives peace of mind that you can do the best possible in case of illness or injury.

I do think in this country with the NHS we are shielded from the costs of medications and treatments so it can be a big shock at the size of vets bills as we tend not to be aware of what things cost.