Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2007, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
It unites the vast majority and I cant think of anything else that does this.
I'm sorry I have to disagree, none of my family support football, in fact I don't know of that many who do. I've only been 'exposed' to football because we have 3 village teams for the various ages, and they still have to do what I tell them
I think you'll find considerably less support football than you think.
They wouldn't dream of putting Crufts on beeb one despite the fact that there are nearly 7 million dogs in the UK. I get fed up with my TV schedule being mucked about, it's bad enough that I'm not going to be able to watch Neighbours on the beeb in the not too distant future anmd I bet they put football over that too!
Becky
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2007, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
Football doesn't unite EVERYONE !! It only unites those that support it or have no choice to !
No choice to? I could be described as a football widow having an OH who was born in Manchester and is red through and through.
I could moan, but it's his interest so I understand his passion and celebrate it with him, same as he does with my hobbies/interests/passions. If I really had a problem with it I wouldn't be with him in the first place.

A little tolerance is what is needed here I think. Don't knock something that is important to others just because you don't like it.

I have friends who don't understand about my love for my dogs, they don't understand it but appreciate it for what it means to me.

That is how I feel about people who love football, and why I do understand why it is top story.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2007, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
They wouldn't dream of putting Crufts on beeb one despite the fact that there are nearly 7 million dogs in the UK.
But the dogs don't pay the tv subscription/license and the majority of dogs are owned by people who aren't interested in shows like Crufts, they are 'just' family pets.
I love my dogs but am not interested in Crufts either, though I have been.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

22-11-2007, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I couldn't understand it being top news story. It wouldn't have been if it was Rally Driving or Golf and they're both big sports.

As you can probably tell, I'm not a fan (I like a good manly game of Rugby where they spit a few teeth out instead of pruning their hair!

I was in my netball team at school ya know, so I know how to catch a ball when I have to!!!!

how come it affects you all like it does too????

My husband doesn't get like this if Matt Neill doesn't win the race at Touring Cars, he just takes it like a man and waits for the next race when he might win!!!! It's all very strange to me I'm afraid. He wouldn't come home and not talk to me for a week or cry his eyes out!!!
OMG Helena we really do think alike I didn't know the result 'till I looked at Sky News this morning

I used to play Rugby (at school) and have done a bit of Rally sport (When I had a Mini Cooper S ) and neither sports get the media attention that football does. As you know I have been running a one man campaign against the influence of the media on peoples minds and attitudes and I can only say that they have a lot to answer for in this respect.

I suppose some people will think this is not PC but the term 'Mindless masses' comes to mind. Now Stormey please don't read that as you, (I get the feeling you're a life long fan, knowledgible, and there's now't wrong with likeing football) but don't you think millions of people read the tabloid back pages and regurgitate it in the pubs and clubs like the're the worlds expert
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2007, 05:41 PM
I don't disrespect people who have other hobbies or interests and everyone needs one or two. I am passionate about dogs amongst other things which not everyone understands or likes.

However I don't insist they watch Crufts over football, I don't insist they have to see everyone cramming in the supermarket to buy BBQs and silly car flags when Crufts is on, I don't rant on about it all the time, I don't insist they fill the pubs and disrupt everyday family life when it's on and I don't sulk when the dog I wanted to win didn't !!!!!

There's a difference in having a passion and having an obsession and obsessions are dangerous !!

I don't think you'll find the 'Majority' of his Nation likes football when many enormous ethnic communities don't support it at all...................and in the village I live in, you wouldn't even think football existed !!

Like I said It's just about prioritising.

I'm not against people who like football, I am against putting the rest of the Nation out and acting like the world depends on it.

And if people are going to bring the economy into it, take into account all the lying people that call in sick, to have a day off to go to the pub to watch a game !! How much money do you think that costs ??

Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-11-2007, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
I don't disrespect people who have other hobbies or interests and everyone needs one or two. I am passionate about dogs amongst other things which not everyone understands or likes.

However I don't insist they watch Crufts over football, I don't insist they have to see everyone cramming in the supermarket to buy BBQs and silly car flags when Crufts is on, I don't rant on about it all the time, I don't insist they fill the pubs and disrupt everyday family life when it's on and I don't sulk when the dog I wanted to win didn't !!!!!

There's a difference in having a passion and having an obsession and obsessions are dangerous !!

I don't think you'll find the 'Majority' of his Nation likes football when many enormous ethnic communities don't support it at all...................and in the village I live in, you wouldn't even think football existed !!

Like I said It's just about prioritising.

I'm not against people who like football, I am against putting the rest of the Nation out and acting like the world depends on it.

And if people are going to bring the economy into it, take into account all the lying people that call in sick, to have a day off to go to the pub to watch a game !! How much money do you think that costs ??

Putting the rest of the nation out despite the majority not having a problem with it being a main story?

If there we some happening at crufts, that made the news I would not be on here demanding they show more news about numerous other subjects...
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2007, 05:48 PM
You're missing the point, we aren't saying it isn't news, we're just saying it really isn't worthy of being the top story, there were far more important WORLD issues that should have been top. Besides when they have a sports story as news they then repeat it all in the sports section which really get's me.
Becky
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

22-11-2007, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
millions of people in the country will have been gutted about this last night from the youngest lad who dreams of playing for england to the biggest company who will lose money and all those in between.
But why Because the media tell them it's important.

Why does the young lad dream of playing football for England WHY doesn't he dream of sailing round the world, inventing a cure for cancer, flying to the moon oh no the media bombard him with images of an easy lifestyle, loads of money and girls and fame ........on the TV and in the papers of course. Not in the minds of people who aren't drones of the media.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-11-2007, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
I suppose some people will think this is not PC but the term 'Mindless masses' comes to mind. Now Stormey please don't read that as you, (I get the feeling you're a life long fan, knowledgible, and there's now't wrong with likeing football) but don't you think millions of people read the tabloid back pages and regurgitate it in the pubs and clubs like the're the worlds expert
You get people in every walk of life thinking they are experts on certain subjects. Whether it be football, politics, finance and many other subjects, I bet the dog world has people like this, there may even be people like that on here.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-11-2007, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
But why Because the media tell them it's important.

Why does the young lad dream of playing football for England WHY doesn't he dream of sailing round the world, inventing a cure for cancer, flying to the moon oh no the media bombard him with images of an easy lifestyle, loads of money and girls and fame ........on the TV and in the papers of course. Not in the minds of people who aren't drones of the media.
This is one thing I cant blame on the media, as football has been important since way before the advent of media coverag as it now is. My dad was born in 1920 yet his earliest memory is playing football the morning before starting school and there was not media like today back then.

People still dream of sailing round the world, finding a cure for cancer or going to the moon, but football is open to anyone, you dont need to be smart, rich or move in the right circles, though its still open to those that do. Its the peoples game and open to everyone regardless of age, race or abillity.
Page 4 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »