View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2007, 12:18 PM

Ive had the Worse day since I started Grooming (Sorry long)

I've had a shiz shu in that was matted from head to tail, Ended up havind to use a 15 blade on its back and legs and a 30 on its neck. Managed to accidently cut it as when i got underneath was covered in sores.
Got to the head and gave up the fur round the eyes was matted into its fringe and beard, and its front legs were so bad couldnt get near its front feet without being badly bitten.
Ive done the best I could but told her to go to her verts as it needs sedating and I was going any where near its face.
Felt awful looked really bad and still had to charge her £25.00 as spent 4 hours on him already.
Told her if she wants me to do him again she has to bring him every three weeks for a comb out until he goes grows back.
She claimed he was only 1 and been trimmed loads of times before, dont believe a word of it poor little mite was in a mess.
Any way not sure I'm cut out to be a dog groomer after all, sat here in tears.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2007, 12:47 PM
Aww, how awful for you. One of my boys, Giddy, has such a heavy coat, if I don't brush him out every day he gets really knotty and some of them are really tight to the skin. With all thats been going on here I have left him for a couple of days, and the wet weather ads to the problem, I know how hard it is for me to get him sorted and he is really good about it, I can just imagine how difficult it was with a dog you don't know and that had sore skin underneath.

The fact that you are concerned about him makes me think you are cut out to be a groomer, rather than just tidying him up and taking the money you have done your best and advised his owner how to get him sorted out, now you have got upset about him because you care.

I'm sure your next client will be a doddle by comparison.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2007, 12:49 PM
oh you poor thing. Cheer up and think of the positives. You have done what you could for the wee dog, I'm sure he is far more comfortable now than he was and just maybe you have made the lady think about how to look after him properly.

Everyone has bad days at work, its only when there are far more bad than good that you should think of giving up...and I'm sure you're nowhere near that.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2007, 01:16 PM
A friend of mine grooms and she has a cocker that always turns up in a state and obviously doesn't get brushed in between visits. But she tidies him up like you and gives advice - better she brings him back them leaves him totally. But I don't think he has sores etc.

To me its almost cruel to let them get like that can only imagine how you must feel trying to tidy him up and because of how bad/ how sore/upset he was getting not being able to.

You have told her and hopefully she will take notice - why do people get dogs that need grooming and can't be bothered! I guess it would be better if they got them clipped off I guess - but even that makes me cross - if you don't want to deal with the coat get a short haired dog! Steps off soap box now!

Well done - chin up - you have done your best - hope the owner takes your advice.

As you said this is the worse day - so sounds like lots of good days.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2007, 01:27 PM
Theyve just come back and I've refunded them and told them to go to a vets with him. for sedating hes so bad.
I rang the place he was trimmed last hes not been done since last October and she'd warned them that the weight of the knots would make him skin split, said if I've any come back she'll back me up and that she refused to so him again unless they came every 8-12 weeks and tyold them they were being cruel.
They had the nerve to tell me he was £600 dog so I got cross and sugguested the look after him better.
you live and learn I suppose wish I'd told them I wasnt prepared to do him at all now.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2007, 01:50 PM
That's why I stopped grooming. It broke my heart so much to see these poor animals that their owners supposedly love (yeah right). One cocker I groomed they didn't know he only had one testicle and a pad missing from the inside of his front paws so the claw just grew round into the skin
I doubt I'd ever do someone elses dog again.
Becky
CockerMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2007, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
That's why I stopped grooming. It broke my heart so much to see these poor animals that their owners supposedly love (yeah right). One cocker I groomed they didn't know he only had one testicle and a pad missing from the inside of his front paws so the claw just grew round into the skin
I doubt I'd ever do someone elses dog again.
Becky
I agree i'm fed up with seeing other peoples dogs in such a poor state. i can't remember the times i advised people about grooming their dogs undercoat and not just the top coat. The only people i groom for now are friends and owners of my pups that live local to me.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2007, 03:10 PM
Aw I feel bad for you, don't throw in the towel, you have helped this wee one some what by the fact you did what you could and have advised her to take the wee thing to the vet, don't blame your self its the womans fault for letting her dog get so bad...c'mon now head up shoulders back deep breath tomorrows another day xx
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2007, 03:13 PM
not even sure I've cut him to be honest I think the skin might have split as I was clippering due to the weight of the hair.
last groomers said she'd had a similar problem. JKust hope the vets give them a real telling off but doubt they'll take him just think they'll try another dog groomers and pass the problem on to be honest.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-06-2007, 03:32 PM
Hi jacquie I am sorry you have had such a bad day,I guess you are not feeling at your best today being concerned about Lexie.

I least you had a go at the dog so it must feel a lot better. I once had a cocker in to trim and it was a mated ball, I had to clip it next to the skin and ears were full of lice it was such a good dog and I could hardly see to clip for the tears. I saved all the clippings including the lice in a bag to give to the owner

At the other end of the scale I used to trim a Standard Schnauzer called Cob who arrived in a chauffeur driven Rolls Royce (he belong to the Earl of 'D').he was always immaculate if a little shaggy.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >