Our sister sites
Our sister sites
waggytail
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-08-2011, 12:20 PM

Jumping, mouthing and running off in the Agility ring

Agility madness!!....

Simply caused by over excitement and distraction from the other dogs. The dog jumps up at the handler, grabs at their sleeve (or lead if used) or else loses interest completely and runs off to bother other dogs instead

Advice appreciated....Thanks!
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 12:30 PM
I would (as the dogs owner) go right back to basics (ie training sessions with other dogs present) go to the shows, but use them as training ops.

Does the dog do anything other than agility?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 12:35 PM
You have seen my Mia then??

I find it isnt just excitement but it is also inexperience not knowing what to do
I would possibly go back a few steps and make it a little easier for her - for example back chain a sequence (do the last 3 jumps a few times, then the last 6 then 9 and so on) so she understands what is expected of her next and gets a chance to zoom on and get it right

also check handling is clear and ontime - I still sometimes get a nip in the bum if I tell Mia too late

finish a difficult sequence with something fast and fun - tunnels and sweeping jumps

Also what is happening when she is waiting her turn? If she is getting too hyper what about some focus exercises? heelwork/flat work? massage/T touch?

I know Ben sometimes gets a little wound up when he is waiting his turn so I do some stays, some massage and some heelwork with him to focus him a little bit

Lots of dogs do the zooming off - its usualy a stress thing
see if there is a pattern, like if they have got a bit wrong, doing the same section again a few times, a certain obsticle, very fast sections, slow sections?

It does get better with confidence and training tho
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by waggytail View Post
Agility madness!!....

Simply caused by over excitement and distraction from the other dogs. The dog jumps up at the handler, grabs at their sleeve (or lead if used) or else loses interest completely and runs off to bother other dogs instead

Advice appreciated....Thanks!

This could be several things including redirected aggression, displacement activitie ie farting about (one of the 4 x Fs) or over arousal; without seeing it I cannot tell.
waggytail
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-08-2011, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
You have seen my Mia then??

I find it isnt just excitement but it is also inexperience not knowing what to do
I would possibly go back a few steps and make it a little easier for her - for example back chain a sequence (do the last 3 jumps a few times, then the last 6 then 9 and so on) so she understands what is expected of her next and gets a chance to zoom on and get it right

also check handling is clear and ontime - I still sometimes get a nip in the bum if I tell Mia too late

finish a difficult sequence with something fast and fun - tunnels and sweeping jumps

Also what is happening when she is waiting her turn? If she is getting too hyper what about some focus exercises? heelwork/flat work? massage/T touch?

I know Ben sometimes gets a little wound up when he is waiting his turn so I do some stays, some massage and some heelwork with him to focus him a little bit

Lots of dogs do the zooming off - its usualy a stress thing
see if there is a pattern, like if they have got a bit wrong, doing the same section again a few times, a certain obsticle, very fast sections, slow sections?

It does get better with confidence and training tho
Thanks, This is exactly what we have been doing....It seems to be helping