View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2011, 07:49 PM

For those who use retractable/extending leads?

Unless the park is quiet and we can practise recall, I now keep Dexter on a retractable lead; am using a Flexi lead.

Just wondering which one you guys use? Is it a Flexi or another brand?

The one I have is tape and then mostly chord, so am thinking of getting one that is all tape as feel that might be a bit stronger...?

Any feedback on the brand/size you use would be welcome, thanks all
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2011, 08:01 PM
i have the giant breed tape and its been going for 5 + years and never had a problem with it, its quite heavy but feels really substantial

I would recommend it.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2011, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
i have the giant breed tape and its been going for 5 + years and never had a problem with it, its quite heavy but feels really substantial

I would recommend it.

I think I have that one - is it the 8 metre one that is pretty heavy, weighs about three pounds?

I found it a bit too big to carry comfortably
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2011, 08:40 PM
Hiya, I use this one. I used for Inky & now I use it for Khal. Its fab, is all cord no rope & comes with a safety collar.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FLEXI-GIANT-EX...item2a11b1103e

Well worth every penny!
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2011, 09:00 PM
i have had 3 of these and if phoebe decides shes running that leads not stopping her, broke all 3 they just cant take it when 58kg pulls it, but she does go hell for leather when she thinks shes off lead i went back to a long line till i got her recall sorted.

just thought ild warn you there not fail safe
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2011, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by katygeorge View Post
i have had 3 of these and if phoebe decides shes running that leads not stopping her, broke all 3 they just cant take it when 58kg pulls it, but she does go hell for leather when she thinks shes off lead i went back to a long line till i got her recall sorted.

just thought ild warn you there not fail safe

Thanks for the warning

Which size were you using, out of interest? Have you tried the Giant size, it's an all tape leash so meant to be stronger?

Mind you, 58kg is one STRONG dog!
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2011, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by Rubster View Post
Hiya, I use this one. I used for Inky & now I use it for Khal. Its fab, is all cord no rope & comes with a safety collar.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FLEXI-GIANT-EX...item2a11b1103e

Well worth every penny!

Many thanks, am going to follow the link right now

Might be the same one I have as I do have a 'giant' one but will check in case it's a different one
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2011, 09:36 PM
mine is all tape no cord at all, and whilst its heavy its very very strong and holds my 26kg dog fine
NCA1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-06-2011, 09:40 PM
I'm not a fan of them myself, and don't use one- got my fingers caught/burnt once while walking my dog's mother on a cord one and she decided to run - definitely would only use an all-tape one if i did use them, they hurt! The one i used was a 'normal size' red flexi i think.

Do you use them on harnesses or collars? As i imagine it wouldn't do the dog any good either, if it ran and came to the end of the lead attached to a collar?

I do see their benefit though if you can't let the dog off in certain areas or at all, gives them a bit more freedom!
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2011, 09:42 PM
Mine is a flexi make one and is all cord. The last one I was involved in a nasty incident when the lock failed and Cherry nearly chased an off-lead dog into the road! (mind you daft owner having it off-lead near the main road).

I always hold mine by the lead and not the handle now so that couldn't happen again. Cherry is only 13.5 kg though so not strong enought to pull a lot.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >