Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AmyH-Cornwall
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-02-2010, 12:29 PM

Does anyone else's dog/s do this???

Hi all, just a discussion thread really but if anyone has any ideas why Monty does this it would be good!

He is generally pretty greedy when it comes to treats, but if it is something that takes a while to eat, for example tripe sticks, pigs ears, chews he will 9 times out of 10 take at least a day to eat it or not even eat it at all! When he first has something though he will eat it straight away like the first couple of times he had a tripe stick we weren't allowed near him lol but now he is not really bothered by it, that is of course unless Blake (my sis's lab) is around! (I think the best way to get a dog to eat is to get another dog lol)

I am guessing he is just far to lazy to eat the food?? Any other guesses?? oh yeh he also LOVES hiding his 'big' treats though he is not very good at it lol! Does your dog/s do this?
Nlulu
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-02-2010, 01:04 PM
yes sherlock (17weeks puppy) does this alot....the first time I give him anything he loves it and it will keep him occupied for ages but 2nd and 3rd time he takes it and chews it for a little while and then gets bored.

He also hides things too.....luckily Jess (12year old collie) does her best to find them and then sherlock will decide its the best thing ever and he just has to have it now... well for about 10mins anyway

He is like this with toys too. New toy is soooo exciting but even if that toy is hidden and brought out again its just not as interesting...unless its a kong with food in it!

Its costing me a fortune in treats and toys! love it when he is properly excited about something
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2010, 09:23 AM
Yes my rescue lab also hides food treats/chews sometimes although my other lab doesn't. My theory is that if a treat is either extremely important to them, or they've been deprived of food/treats in the past, or they've experienced a lot of competition from litter mates or other dogs, then they will try to cache stuff like this for later (in case there's a lean period & they might starve!!!).

My rescue lab has been known to find bits of bread that I've thrown out for the birds & put them under the pillow on my bed. She stuffs pigs' ears, tripe sticks, rawhides etc down the back of the sofa or puts them underneath the dog bed then sits on it guarding them. They both have raw meaty bones & when she's had her fill she'll either try to bury the rest in the garden, or she'll cover them up with the towel/sheet that she's been sitting on. Unfortunately I did go to bed once & found a piece of raw oxtail carefully hidden under my pillow ~ gave me a nasty shock!

I have found that she's got a lot better lately & I think it's because she's learned that these things aren't in short supply, they come regularly, so there's no need to worry about where her next meal is coming from. Now she can just leave whatever it is lying about.

Oh & she also takes one of my slippers to bed with her when I'm out.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-02-2010, 12:37 PM
Tun is exactly the same, will eat one chicken thigh with great gusto then be beside himself with the other one until he gets the opportunity to 'bury' it. If he knows you have seen him he will move it a number of times before he is happy! Its fascinating to watch him and his little brain working he then spends the rest of the evening/day going out to check on it every ten minutes, which is less fascinating!