Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-11-2008, 01:52 PM

11th hr of the 11th day of the the 11th month

Been watching it on the TV, and those last remaining service men paying their respects...

God bells them , it also brings home what has been and is sacrificed for our freedom of speak today,
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2008, 03:05 PM
Hear hear......
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

11-11-2008, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
it also brings home what has been and is sacrificed for our freedom of speak today,
Agree, very moving occcassion. I just wish many of the younger generation realised what these men and women went through. A few do, but the majority do not.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2008, 05:10 PM
always gets me, i was born on the 11th november and it always makes me think.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-11-2008, 09:10 PM
When you attend the services, it is humbling, esp when they play the last post.
Gellygoo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2008, 09:24 PM
Yes, I have to say I am a very firm believer that you have to make sure the younger generations know about the wars.....ie more info than they get at school usually.... and understand what they owe the ones who defend us.

My son went on a school trip to the trenches when he was about 14 and this really opened his eyes to what they went through.
I think it should be taught in depth in school as I think that history is being re-written in some countries, and that a spin is put on it (here included).
Just my opinion , but I have to say it is a subject I have always been known to rant about. (Dont get me started on the generals etc in the Great War!!!!)
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-11-2008, 09:35 PM
If you talk to the veterans, most of them believe it was all for nothing, and people of today don't appriecate the sacrifices they made.
With Lou being a cadet, they regularly attended the local british legion and mix with the veterans (social event) but i think it does them good, it brings it home to them what they really went through.
On sunday we was out from 9am to 5pm, attending 2 parades, wet,cold in wind and rain, but i am sure what we experienced in nothing in comparision to the conditions they endured.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2008, 09:36 PM
I was in the little Co-op when the 2 minute silence started. This old boy came in, must've been late 70's early 80's.
The lady at the door said, we are having 2 minutes silence in rememberance.
'I don't give a **** about blooming Rememberance, I was in the war in Burma and they don't give a **** about me!'

Lest we forget.

A WW1 German cemetary in France, note the Jewish German soldiers graves (the stone ones). If only they knew.
Man will never learn.
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2008, 08:43 PM
i was doing my ironing when it was on the tv. i stopped and had the silence. it brought tears to my eyes.
my gran lost a brother in the WW1 he was 19. a whole side of my family gone.
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-11-2008, 08:47 PM
Its amazing, makes me cry.