07-02-2009, 12:57 PM
My Mums rescues, ex breeders from Wales
perfectly normal

kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2009, 01:41 PM
This is Whoopi when she came in

And Whoopi in her new home on her 1st walk a few days ago her lovely owners keep me updated.

Betty the Cairn from over xmas who had been locked in a barn for 6 years and beat by the breeder was a wreck and disgusting when she came. Now you would of thought she would of had huge problems only thing she didnt like was the hoover extension pole. She lives with a 5 yr old girl she showed no signs of any sort of agression at my house with my kids so dont see why she shouldnt of gone to this family. She has settled in amazing and her and the little girl are best friends.
colliemagic
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-02-2009, 05:09 PM
My first rescue dog had been in rescue for a few months and we were told he would snatch food out of your hand. He never did and 2 years on we still havent had any issues with him. Our 2nd rescue dog, an oldie, had been in various kennels for over 2 years and had lots of health problems. He was very withdrawn and didnt get on with one of our other dogs but he did improve over time.

Our last rescue dog was described as hyper in kennels, hes is lively but no more so than the bcs. He has no serious problems but can be wary if you go to touch him around the head and neck, although he is much better now that he knows he isnt going to be punished. His housetraining was a bit hit or miss at first, which I expected, but hes fine now.

~There are obviously dogs in rescue with serious issues, usually down to their mistreatment in the past, but I would have no hesitation in having another rescue dog, as many many dogs have no or only minor issues.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2009, 05:26 PM
My current rescue (Georgie) had numerous issues when I got him. For a start he had hardly any fur on him, suffered with a terrible skin condition, lived on steroids all his life, so nobody would want to take him on, and he was going to be pts. The reason I took him was the fact that he was a lovely, affectionate dog without a bad bone in him, and was willing to give it a try to cure him. He had no recall whatsoever, because he had only ever been walked around the block with a ball in his mouth (if he was lucky), never let off a lead , didn't know where the next meal was coming from, would mess in the house (not mine, his previous house!) and eat it for fear of being reprimanded (the previous owner was an alcoholic who didn't get out much). I felt sorry for him, and although I wasn't particularly looking for another dog at that time, he kind of got laid in my path of life. I dealt with all his issues, including his skin problems, at a cost of hundreds of pounds (insurance wouldn't cover it), and now he's just the most perfect dog I could ever wish for. Sadly I couldn't do it again this time around, but I will one day. He would also go to attack anybody who was around on their own in the early mornings, be it a dog walker or jogger, but thankfully, when I got to know about this bit, I always had him on a lead because of his lack of recall when I first got him. Absolutely fine at 10.00 am. when all the other dog walkers were about, but 6.00 am. it was a different story, he was like a guard dog and I really had to hang on tight for fear of him actually attacking people Took me about 3 months to totally cure him of this and get a good recall. Once he did the same thing to some kids we met up with in open countryside, and again, thankfully I had him on a lead, but nobody else was around, it was all very strange 5 years down the line he wouldn't hurt a fly and I could leave him with a new born baby in the full knowledge that he would do nothing but watch over it, he's a perfect gentleman now, but yes, he did have very serious issues 5 years ago when I first had him.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2009, 07:39 PM
Woody was a good example of a perfect rescue dog. He was given upto the Dogstrust by his family who stated a long list of issues he had including being destructive, not liking young children, seperation anxiety, not good with cats/small furries etc etc.

On his first night with us he settled into his basket and we never heard a peep from him. He never chewed anything, got on fine with our cat and my two Nieces. He had perfect recall and could easily be let off around livestock with no problems. He was, quite honestly, the easiest dog I'd ever owned!
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3