Our sister sites
Our sister sites
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-09-2009, 06:24 PM

Fearsome puppy!

Yes me again with another question for you all

As you may know Dizzy has come from the Dogs Trust where she was in isolation for several weeks from other dogs and only kennel staff popped in and out to see her. She was finally able to come home aged 15 weeks and as you can imagine has been pretty fearful of a lot of things. Other dogs she has no problem with and is now getting used to most household things and is a little shy with people but quite quickly recovers and makes friends.

A big problem I seem to have is actually getting her to walk out of the front door, she does like to be out but is pretty skitish whilst on the lead. Traffic she is petrified of, I have sat at length with her by the roadside but she is so frightened I cannot even treat her.

Is it ok to get a harness for her? Will it impede her training at all? (I do practice lead walking in the back garden). If you reckon a harness is ok what sort is best as I am worried she will back out of her collar and that would be a disaster.

Any tips etc gratefully received as always
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2009, 06:32 PM
Poor pup, bless her.
I have a harness for my not-so-small pup [hes 22kg lol] It does help I feel, and he is a bit skitty with traffic, he has tried to back out of his harness but cant of course.
Maybe you could try a double ended lead and use a harness and a collar, which would be pretty safe :]

Good luck xx
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2009, 07:00 PM
Hi Aliwin

If it were me and I am no were near an expert here. I would be taking things really slowly and would just try excerising here mainly in the garden with play and training.

As far as taking her out I don't know how close you live to traffic but I would initially start with getting to the door to start. I would put the lead on and start with the door open.
The minute you see any sign of her relaxing treat her - this can just be verbal if she won't take any reward - then after a few minutes close the door. I would go really slowly with her and just build very gradually.
As soon as she is happy and relaxed every time here then I would encourage outside and just stand in the garden (if you have one) or just outside and let her watch the world go by. Once she relaxes wait a couple of minutes and go back inside. As soon as she is happy with this gradually day by day inch closer to traffic.
Sorry to have gone on a bit, hope this makes sense. I'm sure you will get much better advice but this is what I would do. Let us know how you get on with her xx
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2009, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by kate_7590 View Post
Poor pup, bless her.
I have a harness for my not-so-small pup [hes 22kg lol] It does help I feel, and he is a bit skitty with traffic, he has tried to back out of his harness but cant of course.
Maybe you could try a double ended lead and use a harness and a collar, which would be pretty safe :]

Good luck xx
That is exactly what I had to do with Stumpy for awhile - something would spook her and in seperate incidents she slipped both a collar and a harness (she didn't run far from me but could've been bad if we had been near a busy road). So I went for the double ended lead, clipped one end to a harness and the other to the collar.

When she's going through a scaredy moment, don't mollycoddle or sympathise with her or she will think that she is right to be scared. Remain quiet, confident and calm yourself and she'll soon learn that she needn't be scared. I found it helped walking through 'frightening' places to get to somewhere really good.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2009, 08:42 PM
Hi Ali,

A harness is a good idea at this stage and she won't be able to get out of it. How big is she around the middle? I have a relatively small one you can have if you want it. it's too small fo rmy lot and I've never used one anyway. You're welcome to it if it fits dizzy.

I agree that you need to take things slowly. If you get so far and she stops because of fear, nerves etc then you shouldn't try to get past that point until Dizzy is comfortable with it. Once she's OK with each stage you can progress a little further.

have you taken her out with Molly at all? If so what happened? is she any more confident with Molly about? have you tried allowing Molly out of the door before Dizzy? This way Dizzy may concentrate on being with Molly rather than the traffic.

Without seeing her reactions I can't really suggest anything. And even when I do, I may not be able to suggest anything useful or helpful. I'm looking forward to seeing her next wekk. I'll try to think of something by then.

Laura xx
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post
Hi Ali,

A harness is a good idea at this stage and she won't be able to get out of it. How big is she around the middle? I have a relatively small one you can have if you want it. it's too small fo rmy lot and I've never used one anyway. You're welcome to it if it fits dizzy.

I agree that you need to take things slowly. If you get so far and she stops because of fear, nerves etc then you shouldn't try to get past that point until Dizzy is comfortable with it. Once she's OK with each stage you can progress a little further.

have you taken her out with Molly at all? If so what happened? is she any more confident with Molly about? have you tried allowing Molly out of the door before Dizzy? This way Dizzy may concentrate on being with Molly rather than the traffic.

Without seeing her reactions I can't really suggest anything. And even when I do, I may not be able to suggest anything useful or helpful. I'm looking forward to seeing her next wekk. I'll try to think of something by then.

Laura xx
Hi Laura,

I will measure her and let you know. Yes she has been out with Molly and is much more confident when she is around. Her reaction if spooked is to try and back out of her collar at high speed. I realise I mustn't show any reaction to her fear but it's really difficult as she goes quite mad. I think I need to go back to the start and try again!

Oh and she enjoys a good game of splat

Ali xx
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-09-2009, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by kate_7590 View Post
Poor pup, bless her.

Good luck xx
That sounds like a good idea

Originally Posted by Berger View Post
Hi Aliwin

If it were me and I am no were near an expert here. I would be taking things really slowly and would just try excerising here mainly in the garden with play and training.

As far as taking her out I don't know how close you live to traffic but I would initially start with getting to the door to start. I would put the lead on and start with the door open.
The minute you see any sign of her relaxing treat her - this can just be verbal if she won't take any reward - then after a few minutes close the door. I would go really slowly with her and just build very gradually.
As soon as she is happy and relaxed every time here then I would encourage outside and just stand in the garden (if you have one) or just outside and let her watch the world go by. Once she relaxes wait a couple of minutes and go back inside. As soon as she is happy with this gradually day by day inch closer to traffic.
Sorry to have gone on a bit, hope this makes sense. I'm sure you will get much better advice but this is what I would do. Let us know how you get on with her xx
Hmm, yes it does make sense. I think maybe I have tried to go to fast with her Back to the starting block tomorrow I think, thanks.

Originally Posted by Hali View Post
That is exactly what I had to do with Stumpy for awhile - something would spook her and in seperate incidents she slipped both a collar and a harness (she didn't run far from me but could've been bad if we had been near a busy road). So I went for the double ended lead, clipped one end to a harness and the other to the collar.

When she's going through a scaredy moment, don't mollycoddle or sympathise with her or she will think that she is right to be scared. Remain quiet, confident and calm yourself and she'll soon learn that she needn't be scared. I found it helped walking through 'frightening' places to get to somewhere really good.
Thanks, I will give that a go. I think at the moment although I try not to react sometimes it is hard as I worry she will slip the lead and we do have some pretty busy roads close by. Great idea about going somewhere good, the park is the other side of the main road I can gradually build her up to cross it to get to the park
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-09-2009, 09:22 PM
Just out of interest, have you worked with your Dogs Trust behaviourist on this?

As most of the branches have them, and im guessing if she had to be isolated (for medical reasons?) then they would have homed with a service to back up the consequent development and socialization issues I am sure they would be conscious of?
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-09-2009, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
Just out of interest, have you worked with your Dogs Trust behaviourist on this?

As most of the branches have them, and im guessing if she had to be isolated (for medical reasons?) then they would have homed with a service to back up the consequent development and socialization issues I am sure they would be conscious of?
No I haven't worked with them on this. Yes, she was isolated because of kennel cough, part of the time with her litter mates and then alone as they all went off to their new homes. We weren't allowed her because of the risks to our other dog. We have only had her 2 weeks so the problems are only just emerging really. She is booked into puppy training classes starting next week.

I have been told that I can contact them anytime with any problem but not advised specifically over the development or socialization issues.

Good point though I shall give them a ring tomorrow!

Thanks Ali xx