Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Irish Setter Mu
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-09-2008, 01:53 PM

A Premium Bond Win

I logged onto the NS&I webpage today and found out I had a win this month

It is £50 (sadly no extra zeros on the end!) , but it is the 2nd win (£50 each time), since I started investing in 2006. I did a quick calculation and it is about 7.4% return for the investment I have made so far - so that sounds quite reasonable!

I did the bonds in lieu of pet insurance and have built up a nice little nest egg, which is continuing to grow each month. I know it's not for everyone but I am having a bit of fun along the way. I did pay pet insurance from 1998 to 2006 previously and suppose I was lucky to have had to claim very little.

Made the mistake of telling hubby about the win (as I did last time - silly me") and he has already spent it (in his head) on a nice meal for 2 at a local pub/restaurant - which is exactly what he did to me last time . Next time think I will keep lips firmly sealed
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2008, 02:06 PM
Congratulations, in my opinion any win is better then none. Well done
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2008, 02:17 PM
Congratulations! Can I ask why you had to log on to find out you had won? I know my Dad has had cheques sent to him before when he has won. I have a few bonds and I just assumed they would write and tell me if I won anything, hey, I could be a millionaire and not know it!
Irish Setter Mu
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-09-2008, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Congratulations, in my opinion any win is better then none. Well done
Thanks for that - as you say a win in better than no win and I will have £50 in my bank account soon that wouldn't have been there before!

Someone told me I'd be better off selling my individual £50 bonds back to NS&I and then buying one big one (ie, £1,000) as it had a better chance of winning. As I don't know a lot about this I'm really not sure what to do?
Irish Setter Mu
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-09-2008, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by majuka View Post
Congratulations! Can I ask why you had to log on to find out you had won? I know my Dad has had cheques sent to him before when he has won. I have a few bonds and I just assumed they would write and tell me if I won anything, hey, I could be a millionaire and not know it!

It's just me being impatient They do write to you with the cheque (or invest it back into bonds which is what you can do instead of receiving the cheque). The last cheque took 2 or 3 weeks after the draw so by logging on I've know I've got the cheque on the way to me in the post. I could try next month not to look and just look for the envelope, but I'm afraid curiosty always gets the better of me
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2008, 02:25 PM
I see, thank you. I guess I'm not a millionaire yet then, unless I've won anything in the last draw!
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2008, 04:33 PM
Ooo lucky you. I have the grand total of £62 in premium bonds bought for me when I was born.
But... I've had a couple of £50 wins and a £500 win when I was 17, which went on my first car.
So not bad from £62...and of course they are worth £62 still.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-09-2008, 09:44 AM
Congratulations Karen it's always nice to get a win however small. I have had a number of £50 wins never more including 2 prizes on one day, I couldn't believe it .

Most of my savings are in PBs, I don't do the lottery so this I my only 'gamble'. I haven't had a win for a couple of years and could really do with one now.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2008, 08:53 AM
My OH had a premium bond bought for him when he was born, just £1 (although £1, 46 years ago was probably a lot of money) but he's never checked the numbers, how/where do you look?
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2008, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by crazycockers View Post
My OH had a premium bond bought for him when he was born, just £1 (although £1, 46 years ago was probably a lot of money) but he's never checked the numbers, how/where do you look?
http://www.nsandi.com/products/pb/haveYouWon.jsp

His details will also probably be out of date then as they automatically would send a cheque so get in contact with them and update them.
Good luck!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >