Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dlboxerdog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-03-2007, 02:23 PM

A remarkable bond.

Yesterday was a gorgeous day in Minnesota, especially for March. The temperature actually reached the 80's (Farenheit). I spent much of the day cleaning and being outside with my three Boxers.

At one point of time, in the morning, they raised a ruckus about someone on our private dead end dirt road. Since there was a break-in last week at the other end of the road, I went to investigate.

It was Ryan, my neighbor across the road, who is a young paraplegic. He was in his electric wheel chair looking for agates the snow plow may have kicked up over the winter. I opened my gate to let the dogs greet him, and then invited him to visit the river that runs through the back of my property.

The ground, though wet, was still dry enough for him to travel without difficulty in his wheel chair. Outside of the almost two acres I have fenced, the third acre has several paths leading to the river and the dock I have.

The dogs were with us, the two seeing dogs running ahead and exploring. Rocket, my blind dog, seemed to like walking next to Ryan, as if the wheel chair noise gave him the confidence he needs to know he isn't about to walk into a tree.

As I have written before, I walk Rocket off leash as he likes his independence. He listens well to my commands to change directions or stop so he doesn't get hurt.

Ryan was very enthusiastic about being in the woods on paths that he could travel. He loved the views of the river from the top of the hill. Several ducks and geese took flight as we neared the river. We stayed there for several minutes, and I was hesitant to suggest we turn back, as it was so meaningful to Ryan to be in nature again. He told me he would like to bring his camera again and take photos of the ducks. I told him in a few weeks, when he is dog sitting for me while I go to a reunion, he will be able to see goslings, as each year a pair of geese have a nest in the marsh.

On the way back, Rocket again heeled next to Ryan. We both commented on it, as Rocket seemed to behave as if he were guarding Ryan, or showing him the way.

Now, here is a blind dog, absolutely no eyes, and he knows there is something different about his human friend and that he may need a blind dog's assistance.

Later that day, after the dog's dinner, I again took them out the gate for their afternoon walk. Rocket, as if he had eyes, took off running to the driveway where Ryan lives and even went into the garage looking for him. I had to leash Rocket to get him to come home.

I do feel a little sad that he seems to prefer Ryan to me.

Well, soon (at the end of May), Rocket will have plenty of time to love Ryan. I am having a wheel chair ramp made for Ryan and he will stay at my home with the dogs and my cat while I am on vacation (a reunion).

I so wish Rocket could talk to me and tell me what he is thinking when he glues himself to the side of Ryan's wheel chair. Is Ryan helping Rocket? Or is Rocket helping Ryan?

Best regards, Diana Lynn of Sunrise River Boxers in Stacy, MN, a rescuer, not a breeder.dlboxerdog@msn.com
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-03-2007, 02:35 PM
Really enjoyed reading your blog Diana. Rocket sounds like a wonderful dog to have around.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

27-03-2007, 03:42 PM
Diana, there are some things about dogs I think we humans will never comprehend. Rocket is clearly a very sensitive dog.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2007, 08:21 AM
Maybe he knows that Ryan "needs" him more than you do, in terms of assistance. Being blind is obviously no object to feeling and caring for someone
Lovely blog as always
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2007, 08:26 AM
That's a lovely tale - Rocket sounds an amazing dog

Beautifully written blog
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-03-2007, 10:09 AM
Could it be that Rocket know that Ryan and him are both dependant on someone else? Dogs are fantastic at knowing what is needed in respect of disabled people.

Ian
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

28-03-2007, 10:56 AM
What a lovely story and thanks so much for sharing it I think Iso-chick is right and that Rocket realises Ryan needs his assistance more than you do. We will never be able to fathom out what these wonderful animals are thinking, but that does not make Rocket any less amazing.

Eunice
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-03-2007, 07:58 PM
Lovely story which shows the sensitive side of the boxer.
lizziel
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-03-2007, 08:02 PM
Dogs have such huge hearts that they can share their love with many.
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2007, 08:24 PM
Dogs are very wise, more so than we often give them credit for. Rocket is going to love having Ryan there full-time.