Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kitty12
New Member!
Female 

17-04-2017, 03:28 PM

Itchy, smelly dog. Help!

Hello everyone

My 12 year old Jack Russell is itchy, she sheds LOADS and smells cheesey. I changed her diet and took her to a vet- they prescribed Malaseb but even after constant use it hasn't made any difference. I read online that she might have a yeast infection so tried feeding her garlic, a grain free diet and using lavender oil but this hasn't made any difference either.
Does anyone have any advice? Any shampoo recommendations? I want to tackle this problem once and for all- the itching must be irritating and her smell is driving me mad
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-04-2017, 03:45 PM
Have you tried Hibiscrub? I'm guessing the vet found no reason for the itching.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hibiscrub-H.../dp/B001AV4C20
Kitty12
New Member!
Female 

17-04-2017, 05:00 PM
Hey Trouble

Thank you for your suggestion. No I've never tried that shampoo but it's reasonably priced so I'll definitely try it out!
Nope, the vet hasn't found any reason for itching or odour. She's fed excellent quality, grain free food as recommended and has even been on a BARF diet too, sadly it made no difference. Other than Malaseb the vets haven't prescribed anything else and have run out of suggestions. *sigh*
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-04-2017, 08:58 PM
My dog was like that when I got him, he was 7 months old. Because of the smell I felt it was yeast (vet agreed) and fed him raw but it didn't help mainly I think as he doesn't tolerate chicken well but that was about all he ate, stopped eating beef, wouldn't touch rabbit or any of the other stuff I bought. Fed him different grain free foods which helped a bit but only a bit.

I feed him Carnilove which is not just grain free but also potato free (potato = starch = sugar = yeast) and bought Stinky Stuff to bath him with. His smell has gone (except for the smell of the Stinky Stuff lol) and his belly is now clear and not black anymore. For his eyes which have always wept I recently used colloidal silver and it's now cleared up. You can also spray your dog with colloidal silver which might help with the itching.

Neutering also helped my dog, (he was young though) it helped his coat and he stopped smelling so hormones might have had something to do with it but feeding him the above helps a lot.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2017, 10:23 PM
Sounds like he could have folliculitis. Check with your vet - my boy Ben suffers badly from this and has to be bathed regularly in special antibacterial shampoo we get from the vet.
Kitty12
New Member!
Female 

21-04-2017, 11:51 PM
Oh wow! I'm so glad you've mentioned Stinky Stuff 1cutedog! I actually purchased some the other day after seeing an advert for it on [a social network]. It's nice to know it has worked for your dog- I really hope it helps mine
Kitty12
New Member!
Female 

21-04-2017, 11:53 PM
Thanks Gnasher
I've just quickly researched folliculitis- the symptoms do sound similar. I'll mention it to my vet.
Dr. Dennis Thomas
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-04-2017, 01:14 AM
Your dog is displaying an external manifestation of an internal problem. The yeast infection in the skin started in the gut. Leaky gut syndrome is extremely common in the dog and the secondary problem is Candida (yeast) overgrowth. These yeast organisms enter the bloodstream from the gut and go throughout the body to other locations. The skin is one of the most common areas, as well as the urinary tract. Contact your holistic vet and she will help you repair the damaged gut and eliminate the secondary yeast problem. You can also Google leaky gut and yeast overgrowth online. There are lots of good articles written by holistic vets that address this problem. Good luck.
Kitty12
New Member!
Female 

25-04-2017, 09:37 AM
Dr Dennis Thomas, wow thank you for that information!. I've booked an appointment to see a vet- I'll mention what you've said and see what they think 😁