View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dax!
New Member!
Male 

16-04-2017, 06:57 PM

Should I be concerned about my dogs incision???

Hello,

I was just seeking guidance on my pup’s incision from a recent castration (neutering) surgery. He had the operation done on March 21st, 2017, so it’s coming up on a month. Obviously, we kept him restricted for 2 weeks, and have been keeping him from licking himself.

Last night I heard him whining slightly and upon checking on him, noticed he was licking near the incision. I stopped him, but did not think too much about it because he is a very vocal dog. This morning, it crossed my mind and I decided to check his incision, and I was alarmed by what I saw. I do not see much, if any redness, or from I can tell puss, but to me it almost looks like the incision is still partially open and I seen fluid in, on or around it.

Now it is hard for me to get in there and get a good look since I would need a flashlight and he thinks its play time every time I pull one out. I took a picture and wanted to check with others and see if there is a need for concern. I am thinking he may have just licked a scab off, but I am concerned it may lead to an infection.

(picture attached below)

Thanks for any insight!
Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3254.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	5524  
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-04-2017, 07:12 PM
Duplicated post.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-04-2017, 07:14 PM
I'd be taking back to the vet as it isn't healing. It's been over a decade since I had a male castrated but it healed really quickly, certainly less than a month.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2017, 04:09 AM
Definitely go back to vet and get it checked. Meanwhile clean with mild salt water and try to stop him licking. If necessary put a bucket collar on for times when you can't keep an eye on him.