View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2017, 04:02 AM
It would be useful to know who your breeder is. Do they have a website. For neutering. I prefer not to. It can cause problems, especially if done to early. Some dogs, male or female still have sexy problems even after neutering. We advise giving the pup a teddy. Most pups grow out of it but some don't. It really does, at the end of the day, depend on your lifestyle.
EME
New Member!
Female 

17-04-2017, 04:35 AM
No, they do not have a website. They're a small breeder in northern United States who I came to know of through word of mouth (My aunt used to show dogs in the area and is now working at a vet clinic so she was able to help me out in my decision).
So far I have bought him a few stuffed toys but they are the ones with minimal fillings in the hopes that he'll be less inclined to tear it apart. So should I be getting him a teddy that has a bit more stuffing as well?
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2017, 06:51 AM
No not yet. Wait until you have him for a few weeks to decide on what else to buy him. He may turn out to be either a chewer or not a chewer. He may not have any amorous feelings until much older and maybe not even then. I will say though that if you decide to go down the complete dry foods that a lower protein is best at a young age as too much protein and calcium will not help the growth rate and will probably make him very hyper. If you go down the fesh food route this shouldn't present a problem but only on how much of everything to feed so that you know that he is getting enough nutrients.
What is the breeder feeding. This should help you on what to do.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-04-2017, 06:57 AM
Originally Posted by EME View Post
Trouble, with your in-fixed dogs do you have any issues with them making more messes than fixed dogs? I don't mean in reference to marking, and I'm trying to not be too specific because I don't know the age groups on here that might view this. Just wondering because a friend of mine used to say that his dog got a little too excited while playing with his bed. Its not exactly something that I want to deal with all the time so if it is a possibility how do you recommend handling this?
Never had a problem with randy dogs and I have both sexes together. They are trained to stop what they are doing on command. They have only ever been interested in humping each other rather than their toys. Funnily enough the one most likely to get randy when excited is neutered and that goes for marking too. Mine don't have cuddly toys though as they kill them very quickly and the stuffing gets everywhere.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

17-04-2017, 07:08 AM
Its probably just in reference to the designer dog fad. I assume that there is less of a chance for inbred offspring in F1 generations than in the other generations and I believe that that is what was being referred to. Of course, a reputable breeder makes all the difference but I decided to play it safe (in reference to this) and look for an F1 breeder.

In answer to your question then no you don't have a better chance of health with an F 1, in fact you probably will be jumping more into the unknown with aF1.

When breeding F1 you are always using two dogs of different breeds , you will continue to have to use different digs, so that means depending on how many litters one has, you are continually buying in new stock or breeding from the same two dogs.

So do the breeders of the F1 know the history or both dogs do they have a data to check up on on COI and health testing of previous generations...

If a breeder is breeding for F2/3/4 , it says to me that they are breeding for a goal, to uniform type and will hopefully have a data base to work with other enthusiastic breeders with the same goals...checking for COI and health,

Breeding for type does not mean you have to inbreed, not in this day and age anyway.

you say your not bothered what it looks like and prefer the lab look, then why not buy a lad...at least you know what you are getting.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

17-04-2017, 07:15 AM
Trouble, with your in-fixed dogs do you have any issues with them making more messes than fixed dogs? I don't mean in reference to marking, and I'm trying to not be too specific because I don't know the age groups on here that might view this. Just wondering because a friend of mine used to say that his dog got a little too excited while playing with his bed. Its not exactly something that I want to deal with all the time so if it is a possibility how do you recommend handling this?
There is a simple answer to humping, take away whatever he is humping and give him something else to do.

And like trouble , no I don't have problems with intact males humping and leaving evidence around the house.

Nor do I have problems with roaming, some dogs are more hormonal than others but they usually grow out of it as the mature.

A juvenile dog has 3/4 times more testosterone than an adult male, so any unwanted behaviour will settle with time and training
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-04-2017, 12:27 PM
I wouldn't have my males castrated unless there was a medical reason for it.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2