Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
charlew
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-04-2017, 01:04 PM

Panting & pacing & inability to settle in 12 yr old

Justin my 12 year old springer spaniel had been pacing around & panting all yesterday afternoon, he would not settle, he'd sit/lie down in one place & stay there for about a minute & then get up (grumbling), this behaviour went on in to the evening & then night, at one AM my OH said that we should take him to the emergency vets, the vet took J's temperature which was normal, she listened to his heart - normal, & felt his stomach - normal, she was unable to find anything wrong with him, she gave him two injections which between them consisted of a pain-killer & an anti-inflammatory & a sedative; he is currently still dopey from the sedative (12 hours on), I hope when the sedative wears off he will be back to normal - but I will just have to wait & see. Does anyone else have experience of this sort of thing?
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2017, 02:34 PM
Did he eat anything out of the ordinary in the two days before the behaviour started? It sounds to be pain related. Hopefully, it will have been a fleeting pain that isn't there any more when the meds wear off. Fingers crossed x
charlew
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-04-2017, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Did he eat anything out of the ordinary in the two days before the behaviour started? It sounds to be pain related. Hopefully, it will have been a fleeting pain that isn't there any more when the meds wear off. Fingers crossed x
On Friday he managed to scoff some discarded chips left in the park by a vile litter-bug before I managed to catch up with him & pull him away, but he did not vomit or have diarreah.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2017, 12:40 PM
Chips do it every time for my girl. She's not allergic to potato so it must the the extra fat she reacts to. She does have a very 'iffy' tum so we do have to be extra careful with her.

How is Justin doing today?
charlew
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-04-2017, 06:37 AM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Chips do it every time for my girl. She's not allergic to potato so it must the the extra fat she reacts to. She does have a very 'iffy' tum so we do have to be extra careful with her.

How is Justin doing today?
Well he's almost back to his usual self, but he did not try to sleep on my bed last night & he usually sleeps there even though lately he's been having trouble getting up on to it (old age I guess, I do give him Yumove); he will eat wet food but not dry (teeth problem maybe?)
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2017, 08:00 AM
Thank you for the up-date. I'm so glad that he's getting back to normal and whatever it was seems to be leaving him.

They worry us so much as they get older xx