Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
transpart1
New Member!
Female 

10-06-2013, 12:29 PM

Vizsla gun dog training

hi i am new to this site but wondered if any one knows of any good gun dog classes for my Ruby (she is hungarian vizsla) she is 13 week old so not really sure if she is too young but when she is old enough id love to get her properly trained, we live in Leeds, thanks julie
Norma808
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-06-2013, 01:52 PM
Sorry to sound mean ,at 13 weeks old all you want to be doing is teaching basic obedience ,sit stay walk to heel But slowly ,they have to be aloud to be pups
To many push to hard to soon ,
Some not all HPR,s are slow to mature
Don't really start ours till 9 months with serious training (others my have different ideas ) much depends on the individual dog
Have heard vizslas are much easier to train
15years of keeping working GSPs some have been easy ,some headstrong ,still get the greatest pleasure working them
Hope some one in your area can point you in the direction regarding training ,
Try google HPR GUNDOG TRAINING for your area
Good luck hope you have many happy years working your dog
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2013, 08:51 AM
Hi and Welcome.

Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2013, 09:04 AM
Welcome along and congratulations on your beautiful new puppy.

I too am a new vizsla owner. Aren't they wonderful!!

Rua is 5 months old and just a bundle of fun.

Before you start gun dog training you will need the basics as has been said.

This is all I am doing with her for now. We have completed a basic obedience class and are just continuing to work on those commands. These are basically Sit, stay, recall, leave it and loose lead walking.

I train her two to three times a day for 10 to 15 mins. Anything more than that and she will loose focus as she is still so young.

I am hoping to compete in Agility and some field work but this is a long way off xx
Kanie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-06-2013, 06:50 AM
Hello! We've got 4 vizlas working on the beating line on the shoot we go to - 2 wire and 2 smooth. They are lovely dogs (but I'm sticking with my springer!)

You could have a look at the Adrian Slater video about puppy training, available from Paul French Videos - which is all about very basic puppy things.

I think you are quite right to be thinking about training classes now - that way when your dog is mature enough to attend, you will know where you want to go and be able to get on with it.

The first time I took my springer puppy along to a local class (miles away from Leeds though!) I realised as soon as I walked through the door that she was too immature and I'd been talked into it against my better judgement. After a quick chat with the organiser, I was allowed to take my pup off into a quiet corner and just play with her and get a few bits of eye contact and a sit and call it a day.

A good trainer should be able to spot when a young dog is going 'puppy-brained' I don't know much about HPRs but I've heard the term 'later maturing' so many times, I would definitely suggest you contact some field trial societies that cater for HPRs and ask around for someone who is familiar with HPRs. It needn't be a formal class - you might find someone really experienced to spend a bit of time with you on an informal basis.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2013, 06:45 PM
The GSPC Yorkshire Group train around the Leeds area. Dont be fooled by the name, they take all kinds of HPR's for training. The lady who runs it is called Stevie Allerton and is a lovely lady.