Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
doodles
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-08-2006, 04:30 PM

problem with puppies paws uncomfortable after first walk

just taken our new 11 week old bernese puppy out for his first walk in a field. when we came back he had severe irritation on the pads on the bottom of all 4 feet, he couldnt stop itching them, and there were really warm when we rang the vet they suggested it could be nettle stings, and told us to put aloe vera on it. has anyone else had this problem? or does anyone have advise on this problem?

thnx doodles
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2006, 04:36 PM
I always wash my Dogs feet in warm salty water/or very mild dog shampoo when they have been near any field
doodles
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-08-2006, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by Amie
I always wash my Dogs feet in warm salty water/or very mild dog shampoo when they have been near any field
thnx alot for ur comment on tht ill try it
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2006, 06:17 PM
Could also be an allergy to some grasses or other plants - dogs rarely get nettle stings really. Perhaps some boots for pup if the problem persists ?
Thinking about it, you could try paw wax before investing in boots considering pup will be growing of course, [ paw wax is available in most large pet shops ] to help create a protective barrier on the pads
doodles
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-08-2006, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by Patch
Could also be an allergy to some grasses or other plants - dogs rarely get nettle stings really. Perhaps some boots for pup if the problem persists ?
Thinking about it, you could try paw wax before investing in boots considering pup will be growing of course, [ paw wax is available in most large pet shops ] to help create a protective barrier on the pads
thnx a lot
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-08-2006, 10:46 PM
Hi Doodles welcome to Dogsey. Don't forget that dock leaves are at hand in the fields and can bring instant relief to nettle stings and yes it really does work the reason being nettle stings contain acid and the sap in dock leaves is alkali so it helps to neutralise the acid and relieves the pain
doodles
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-08-2006, 07:49 PM
thnx 4 hepling
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2006, 07:53 PM
I remember when Hollie was a puppy she trod on a stinging nettle - oh bless her she cried, I carried her home, we bathed her foot in tepid water and it eased.
doodles
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-08-2006, 08:50 PM
thnx a lot
patterlad
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-08-2006, 09:06 PM
My dogs are always suffering from nettle stings.They come home rubbing all for feet on the matt until i ha ve to stop them.I no its nettles because ive watched my dogs avoid them when out for a walk .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >