Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2006, 10:51 PM

Moving on from crates

When we got Fudge we also bought a crate which she has slept in ever since. When I go out she goes in her crate ,sometimes locked ,sometimes open. She is beginning to get used to being in the kitchen rather than just her crate.I would like to begin to get her used to sleeping in the kitchen without the crate at night too, I have tried leaving the crate door open but she comes out and gets distressed during the night. She barks and wees on the floor.

Any advice on moving on from crates gladly listened to.
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2006, 03:22 PM
Why do you feel that you need to get Fudge out of her crate?

A crate is the closest thing your dog will have to a 'den' in the house and it is natural instinct to go in there and feel safe and secure, im not suprised she dosent want to get rid of it.

Personally I would let her keep the crate, she will love it and it is very handy to keep her safe whilst you are performing your tasks and stop her from getting under your feet.

Good luck with what you decide.

kye xxx
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-11-2006, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
When we got Fudge we also bought a crate which she has slept in ever since. When I go out she goes in her crate ,sometimes locked ,sometimes open. She is beginning to get used to being in the kitchen rather than just her crate.I would like to begin to get her used to sleeping in the kitchen without the crate at night too, I have tried leaving the crate door open but she comes out and gets distressed during the night. She barks and wees on the floor.

Any advice on moving on from crates gladly listened to.
Hi Fudgeley not sure how old Fuge is, you don't say or how long you have had her? .
If she has been confined in a small crate she may not be properly housetrained and was just 'not soiling' in the confined space of her bed.
I would go back to a course of house training, this means
watching Fudge for any signs of wanting to go out (sniffing circling) and take her out once every hour/after food,sleep, play,excitement and stay with her .
When she is in the middle of relieving herself say 'be clean' so she associates the word with the action, then give a tip bit and praise when she finishes (once she has the idea only give the tip bit occasionally but always praise). Clean up any accidents with biological washing powder and water and ignore them.

Regarding the barking, maybe she is house trained and is asking to go out, what is the latest time you take her out?
If you have to go down to her in the night to let her out it is advisable to wait until she has been quiet for a moment, don't go to her while she is barking or you will reinforce the unwanted behaviour. Has she got a nice soft cosy bed with toys in the crate? I would make sure she has, and if you want to get rid of the crate move the bed outside the crate but still leave the crate there so Fudge can go in it if she wishes, she needs to get used to any change over in her own time .
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2006, 03:52 PM
My two love to get in their crate at night ( and during the day when they want some peace ) I know longer lock the crate, and every morning they are still snuggled in it together.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2006, 03:56 PM
Fudge is now a year old and house trained. She sleeps in the crate but I lock it. What i am aiming for is to keep the crate but give her the freedom of the kitchen as well. She has her bed, water and a toy in with her at night and sleeps through no problem with no soiling or wetting. I was just hoping to move on to giving her a little more freedom at night. I also don`t really like the idea of her being shut in in case of emergencies. I agree wholeheartedly about not giving up the crate entirely as with 3 children in the house it is often her refuge, her den.I hope I have clarified myself a little.My first post was alittle confusing.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-11-2006, 04:07 PM
Hi Fudgely you haven't said what time you take her out for the last time...maybe you could take her a little later.
How long have you been leaving the crate open?

I would try just leaving the crate door open, clear up any accidents really well with biological washing powder and water and ignore them. I would not go down when she cries, (she is an adult dog and you don't want to start new habits) and see how it goes.
lizziel
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-11-2006, 05:43 PM
If you are worried about her being locked in the cage in the event of an emergency you could try pushing the door to, but not clicked into place properly or locked, and then put a cushion against the door so that it stays "closed" but she could get out if she had to.

If she is happy sleeping in there then I would just carry on with using it still.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2006, 06:15 PM
Thanks I will try the ignoring tactic and leave the door open and see how we go.