Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ozzy4ever
New Member!
Male 

25-02-2011, 05:02 AM

Tail injury

my 1 yr old lab mix fell out of a moving truck and his tail separated from his spine the vet said he only had weeks to live if lucky but its been 3 months now and he is happy as ever somehow he can wag his tail barely the only problem is he had a wound on his tail that never healed he finnaly chewd the tip off so we had it amputated. whats left of his tail is seemingly infected even though he is medicated im just wondering if anyone has had a dog with a simialr injury and what was ur dogs fate im really depressed and sad for my ozz i just need some kind of advice
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 05:46 AM
No advice, I'm afraid, but I hope Ozz recovers......

x0x
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 11:17 AM
Could the vet not amputate the whole tail? Surely without the infected tail his chances would be better?

Much love and sympathy to you. Dogs are amazing resilient remarkable creatures... He may surprise you yet... I hope he does.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 11:19 AM
It may be worth the vet doing a culture of the infection site to find the best antibiotic, it may be that the bacteria present is resistant to the one you're using already and he needs another one.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
It may be worth the vet doing a culture of the infection site to find the best antibiotic, it may be that the bacteria present is resistant to the one you're using already and he needs another one.
Spot on a friend's lab had to have a part of her tail amputated & the vets never swabbed the injury before the partial amputation & she ended up with just a tiny stump as the infection spread. Eventually they did do a culture & her stump is now fully healed after correct treatment for the infection

Vet PDQ for a swab & further treatment
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 12:09 PM
Tail wounds are very difficult. TBH full amputation may be your best bet.