Our sister sites
Our sister sites
firebird
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-12-2009, 02:18 PM

Odd eating habit

Hilo!

I was just wondering if anyone's dogs have strange eating habits?
Our 1 year old Lab / Shepherd mix Sydney will take a mouthful then run...in any direction...then she'll spit out the kibble and eat it. Usually she'll bring it to where we are sitting. She's even brought it onto the bed and eaten some there.
She's a grazer and will only eat when she's hungry (unlike some labs that will scarf it all down right away).

I'm wondering if this behaviour has anything to do with the fact that she's a rescue and at 3 months weighed only 8lbs. She had to fight for every bit of food she got.

I'm a first time mom so everything is new to me. She's an amazing, loveable, funny dog with a few funny quirks that make her fit right into our family. (someone laughed at me the other day when I said I was a ‘mom’. They corrected me and said I was a ‘dog owner’ but I like mom better! Hahah)
Bandi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-12-2009, 02:28 PM
It sounds like this is the only way the poor thing ever got a chance to eat. Running away to eat her food so no one could take it from her. Maybe over time if you sit with her and her food bowl she'll stay in one place. I'd try giving her some from my hand as well while sat next to her bowl. Congratulations on becoming a "Mum"!
Bagwoman
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-12-2009, 02:33 PM
My lurcher Holly takes anything from her bowl that she can and brings it into the living room to eat.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2009, 02:50 PM
my nanas papillon does the same thing, he will run with a mouthful and then spit it out and eat it. daphni is a really weird eater. she will eat only when she is hungry and i find it hard to give her two meals a day because she doesnt want them. she eats really late at night aswell, the other dogs get their food at 7, daphnis is put down but she wont eat it until like half 9. dont know why she does it but as long as she eats i dont mind.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2009, 05:04 PM
My first dog - also a rescue - would take a mouthful of food and drop it in front of the tv and eat it there - but only if Wishbone or any other doggy programme was on
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-12-2009, 06:49 PM
Must be the Shepherd in her. The one I raised would take a bite of food and carry it in another room to chew it. Certainly most of my Labs would have never done that. It was no problem except when we were sitting a Lab. In most cases, I shut the Lab in a crate to feed it.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2009, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
my nanas papillon does the same thing, he will run with a mouthful and then spit it out and eat it. daphni is a really weird eater. she will eat only when she is hungry and i find it hard to give her two meals a day because she doesnt want them. she eats really late at night aswell, the other dogs get their food at 7, daphnis is put down but she wont eat it until like half 9. dont know why she does it but as long as she eats i dont mind.
my lurcher was like that too,also,he didnt like being watched whilst eating.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2009, 07:43 PM
Yup Ben is similar - he wont eat if I am in the kitchen but as soon as I am out he will often lift his food and take it into the sitting room and eat it there
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2009, 08:06 PM
One of my old shibas used to do this. She would get a pouch full, then go into the hall, gob it onto the carpet (with saliva ) and then eat it.

Daft bat - I do miss her x
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2009, 10:14 PM
Now there was me thinking Dougal was the only strange dog that did that.

He does it too, takes a mouthful of biscuits into the living room, drops em on the carpet and eats them then. Problem is that he will frequently lose some on the way through to the living room and I usually find them by standing on them. Both painful and gross...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >