Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ti Amo's Owner
New Member!
Male 

07-11-2009, 01:56 PM

Loss of appetite?

Ti Amo was always a dog that ate with 'force'. I was feeding him on Purina, which is what he had when he was in the cat and dog home, and he seemed to really love it.

Anyway, the last time I went to the pet store, they didn't have his usual, therefore, I bought some Bakers. He didn't seem as enthused by it. But at least he was still eating it. Now he seems almost disinterested in it, at least he has for the last couple of days, more picking at his food, than anything else.

He is not being sick.

He is passing poo normally.

He seems fine otherwise.

I maybe made the mistake, one night, of adding a little bit of left over lasagne to it, so maybe he has a taste for that, and I have made a mistake doing that?

Any thoughts?

Steve
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2009, 07:51 PM
Hi Steve,

Hope your well

Personally I wouldnt feed your staffie bakers it can make them loopier than normal and really hyper.

Aside from that I would suggest perhaps he just has a bit of an upset stomach with the change in food, or perhaps just not overly keen on the bakers.

You could entice him with a little human food but really if he is drinking as normal I wouldnt be overly worried unless it continues for a good few days.

Do you free feed or do you put his dinner down and lift it again after 10 minutes??
Try adding a little warm water to it and see if he eats it like that before going down the lasagna route - or even a wee grating of cheese mixed in - dont know a staffie yet who refuses cheese !!

dani
Ti Amo's Owner
New Member!
Male 

07-11-2009, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
Hi Steve,

Hope your well

Personally I wouldnt feed your staffie bakers it can make them loopier than normal and really hyper.

Aside from that I would suggest perhaps he just has a bit of an upset stomach with the change in food, or perhaps just not overly keen on the bakers.

You could entice him with a little human food but really if he is drinking as normal I wouldnt be overly worried unless it continues for a good few days.

Do you free feed or do you put his dinner down and lift it again after 10 minutes??
Try adding a little warm water to it and see if he eats it like that before going down the lasagna route - or even a wee grating of cheese mixed in - dont know a staffie yet who refuses cheese !!

dani
Hi

I usually mix it in with a little warm water, to make a gravy.

I think he is just a bit bored with it, tbh.

Tonight, I got a tin of sardines and added some of that.

Result?

He ate it all!

Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2009, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by Ti Amo's Owner View Post
Hi

I usually mix it in with a little warm water, to make a gravy.

I think he is just a bit bored with it, tbh.

Tonight, I got a tin of sardines and added some of that.

Result?

He ate it all!

lol - yes i think thats the comment of Dad...give me something decent !! LOL@Ti amo.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Never, ever add human food to entice a dog to eat.

If the dog never did eat very well, and has seen the vet since the problem existed, you may be over feeding it. A vet check still won't hurt. Many dogs will snarf down more than is good for them and look for more. Others refuse to eat more than than they need. Evaluate the dog as illustrated in this link, http://www.longliveyourdog.com/twoplus/RateYourDog.aspx You may want the vet to confirm your judgment. Adjust the dogs food and exercise as needed to reach its ideal body condition. Some German Shepherds and other breeds may refuse to eat enough to completely hid their ribs. As long as you are feeding a concentrated, meat based chow, the best thing is to accept it.

The worst thing you can do is to bribe a dog with rich foods into eating more than it needs. Instead, Put down the dish with what the dog should eat, and give it 15 minutes to eat. Then take it up. Do not give it anything to eat until its next scheduled meal. In a few days, it should be eating what it needs. Continue to check its ribs and adjust the food as needed. This is not easy. I had a Shepherd go 3 days on a few nibbles. I was a wreck, but she was fine. It is almost unknown for a healthy dog not to eat what it needs. Unfortunately, in too many cases, it is less than the package says, and less than the owner thinks the dog should have. Many dogs are quite good at holding out for tastier chow. Like kids, sometimes it calls for tough love.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-11-2009, 11:25 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post

dani
Hi Steve if Ti is fine in every other way it may just be the food . I agree with Dani. Bakers certainly wouldn't be my first choice of a dog food . I would go for a good quality food like Arden Grange/Burns/JWB and you need to change foods gradually over a number of days by substituting a little of the old food for the new so Ti's tummy can get used to it without being upset. Make sure you aren't overfeeding too, as a guide follow the manufacturers instructions to get the correct daily amount then divide it by 2 to make 2 small meals.

A lot of complete food doesn't have any smell so I guess it is pretty unappetising to a dog where taste comes well behind scent and texture where food is concerned. You can try adding a little warm water to the food which does release a bit of smell and as Dani says you can add a small amount (just a teaspoon full mixed in well) of something strong smelling like grated cheese or sardines in oil (with the oil tipped away) to make it smell appetising .
Ti Amo's Owner
New Member!
Male 

07-11-2009, 11:51 PM
All good advice.

He liked his sardines tonight, and, AFAIK, they can be good for a dog.

Steve