Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
my_boy_sonny
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-01-2005, 03:47 PM

Dog open heart surgery

Today I was ficking through the tv and stopped at animal planet breed all about it was on and I left it there, it was about wiemeriners(sp sorry ) and the dog was being opperated on - supprisingly it was open heart surgery and the dog happened to have a faulty valve - like sonny. The dogs owner decided to go ahead with the op, which invoved an artificial valve inserted to replace the faulty one, because the dogs ability to cope with even gentle exercise was getting too much for him and he was only a few years old. The op was a total sucess and the dog now leads a normal life - romping through the fields as if he were a pup.

This was an american show and I didn't know if it was done in britain - I haven't did a lot of research but so far liverpool university have carried out open heart surgery on several dogs and have had a great sucess rate. I will carry on with my research but I would appreciate it greatly if anyone here has heard of this. I know that it is risky on small dogs but it seems in larger breeds it has a good sucess rate. I hope someone out there can help me it may not be the answer but I have to know all the options that are available to me.

Thanks Sam xx
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-01-2005, 04:10 PM
not heard of much of heart op's biancas was never an option but good luck with your search i hope you find a way of helping sonny boy!
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2005, 07:34 PM
Sam

I've seen a show from Animal Planet aswell. I can't remember the name of it, but a labrador had an artificial hip put in in an english hospital..... So why not open heart surgery......

Hope you'll find some info on it.

Gawd its annoying I cant remember the name..... I'll write it down for ya if I see it....
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-01-2005, 12:15 AM
Hi Sam I know surgery of all types is routine on dogs in the states but I have no experience of complicated veterinary proceedures in this country. Have you contacted http://www.rvc.ac.uk/ for info? Good luck
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-01-2005, 09:14 AM
In searching Google using "heart surgery"+boxer+dog I found several articles, e.g. http://www.moonstruckmeadows.com/Dog...%20Article.htm

You might like to review the articles using your own search & perhaps modifying to include plurals, excluding Boxer, etc.
my_boy_sonny
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-01-2005, 06:30 PM
Thanks guys again you have all been great.

I am going to have a good look at the weekend - I need to familiarise myself with the medical terms because it can get quite complicated. I don't know if its the answer but I will only be satisified with myself when I know I have looked at every avenue.

But thanks again and I will keep you updated

Sam xx
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-01-2005, 06:48 PM
good luck i hope you find some thing that can help.