Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2006, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by Zetacharlie View Post
All I can say is a 2 year old playing rough with a terrier ( any terrier) could be a recipe for disaster....I know staffies are better with kids than a lot of other terriers but most terriers are inclined to "fight back" if they are treated roughly- even in play.Esp. as this dog is a rescue do u know its background ?My goodness if I had very young children Id be a bit concerned.....
Well the rescue told us, that there priority would be to make sure the dog was used to toddlers, but apparently the children she lived with were 7 and 10 and mine are 2 and 5
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2006, 06:58 PM
7 and 10 year olds can be reasoned with not to play too rough -even a 5 year old- but 2 is a bit young to expect to know how NOT to treat a dog... at that age everything is a toy....................maybe just never let them play un-attended.Be careful
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2006, 07:00 PM
Well, you can't expect a 2yr. old to know that although Tia is a new playmate, that she is not made of plastic like all the other toys, so maybe it is down to you to try and get this across - somehow? I know you probably already have, but I'm only trying to be helpful here before anything disasterous happens! As the other kids were a lot older, maybe their parents instilled it into them that she's not to be pulled around or sat on? I know you can't watch your children all the time, especially at that age, but I really feel this is where the problem lies. I'm afraid I've seen it with my own eyes! I would hate for you to have to part with her if it's just a matter of some extra attention on your part to both your 2yr. old and Tia. However, I also feel, is it really worth the risk?
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2006, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Well, you can't expect a 2yr. old to know that although Tia is a new playmate, that she is not made of plastic like all the other toys, so maybe it is down to you to try and get this across - somehow? I know you probably already have, but I'm only trying to be helpful here before anything disasterous happens! As the other kids were a lot older, maybe their parents instilled it into them that she's not to be pulled around or sat on? I know you can't watch your children all the time, especially at that age, but I really feel this is where the problem lies. I'm afraid I've seen it with my own eyes! I would hate for you to have to part with her if it's just a matter of some extra attention on your part to both your 2yr. old and Tia. However, I also feel, is it really worth the risk?
I appreciate what your saying and ill be the first to admit that part of this is my own doing.

The main reason my kids have no fear around dogs is because my mum has a rottweiler x bullmastiff and they lay with her and give her cuddles and she loves it. In fact if the kids are in there and they dont give her a cuddle she`ll nudge them till they do

How do you teach a 2 year old that he can lay with nany`s dog but not our dog?
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2006, 07:32 PM
What a nightmare.......I think that , although it is nigh on impossible you have to make sure 2 yr old and tia are never together alone until the 2 year old is older!

Hope that makes sense! But I appreciate what others have said a staffie is probably 1 of the most tolerant of kids terriers....do you spend a lot of time making a fuss of child when tia is around? You could try under VERY controlled conditions cuddling your 2 yar old and gently stroking Tia at same time??? - someone more knowledgeable might rightly contradict that, but overall think everyone is agreed ....err on the side of caution
Good luck

Ps what about a behaviourilist?
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2006, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by Sara1210 View Post
Well the rescue told us, that there priority would be to make sure the dog was used to toddlers, but apparently the children she lived with were 7 and 10 and mine are 2 and 5
There are some dogs who are afraid of toddlers, after all they make loud unexpected noises and fall down a lot. often near or on the dog. There is a big difference between a 7 year old and a 2 year old. It could be that Tia is wary of your toddler, I know that my own dog, Nova, who has been with me since she was a puppy, was afraid of Kiah (3)when toddling, although she has got better in time. Did the rescue give you any advice/or offer of help?

Unfortunately your toddler is not far from face level with Tia, I am not going to try and tell you to suck eggs, you are obviously aware enough not to leave them together, but perhaps Tia is not the right dog for your family. It may be that she would be better suited to a family with older kids. I hope you manage to work things out. - Karen
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2006, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by novavizz View Post
There are some dogs who are afraid of toddlers, after all they make loud unexpected noises and fall down a lot. often near or on the dog. There is a big difference between a 7 year old and a 2 year old. It could be that Tia is wary of your toddler, I know that my own dog, Nova, who has been with me since she was a puppy, was afraid of Kiah (3)when toddling, although she has got better in time. Did the rescue give you any advice/or offer of help?

Unfortunately your toddler is not far from face level with Tia, I am not going to try and tell you to suck eggs, you are obviously aware enough not to leave them together, but perhaps Tia is not the right dog for your family. It may be that she would be better suited to a family with older kids. I hope you manage to work things out. - Karen

Thanks for your post, Novavizz

The rescue told me from the beginning that if i need anything then just ask (im assuming they meant advice).

I dont think the rescue are to blame, its my own fault for ever letting the kids lie on my mums dog. But you are right in saying that toddlers fall on or near dogs and he isnt very stable on his feet for his age either.
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2006, 07:54 PM
I hope you find a solution soon - whatever it may be. Good luck.
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2006, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by Sara1210 View Post
Thanks for your post, Novavizz

The rescue told me from the beginning that if i need anything then just ask (im assuming they meant advice).

I dont think the rescue are to blame, its my own fault for ever letting the kids lie on my mums dog. But you are right in saying that toddlers fall on or near dogs and he isnt very stable on his feet for his age either.
Please take them up on their offer, if you don't tell them you are having problems they won't know. They may be able to give you some sound advice and it does sound like they are willing to do so. Give them a ring, it won't hurt, and may help to resolve your situation. - Karen
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2006, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
At the risk of getting shouted at, I (personally) would return the dog to rescue, a Staff that growls at anybody is NOT displaying the true Staff temperament, although a lot of dogs dont like being laid on, you say it isnt the first time Tia has done this. A "snap" from a Staff, even if it is a warning can do considerable damage. Good luck.
Dawn.
I must say i'm in full agreement with this,Staffords are usually wonderful around kids,even if you don't leave them unattended could you get there quick enough to prevent major damage been done if she did bite.
My hubby was present when our dog bit Luke and although he was quick he couldn't prevent him biting him
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >