Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JanMut
New Member!
Female 

16-06-2009, 02:17 PM

JWB alternative?

Currently feeding Cockerpoo puppy and 8 year old GSD on JWB ocean white fish and puppy version but although it is good food I am finding it quite expensive. Does anyone have any ideas on a good cheaper alternative hypoallergenic food (GSD can have a dodgy tum).
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 02:44 PM
My 10yr. old gsd who suffers with skin probs so has to have hypoallergenic has the JWB Senior/Light Duck and Rice kibble, it suits him fine, even with his sometimes dodgy tum but I don't know if it's cheaper than their fish one? I think the small bag is around £7 and it lasts me a week, so I can't claim it to be expensive. Do you measure your feed, maybe you're feeding too much per day? The only other route I've done is with the Royal Canin speciality kibbles for my other gsd I had with EPI so a really dodgy tum, had to be very careful indeed, but again, although it suited her fantastically, it was quite expensive.

It's probably a case of you get what you pay for, and if you have to feed hypoallergenic they're going to be that bit more expensive, but then if you change to a cheaper food, it stands to reason there will be cheaper ingredients in there, and will probably upset your gsd with his dodgy tum. Wish I could be more help but that's all I can offer I'm afraid. Good luck, hope you find something.

What about Chappie? I know it's cheap and cheerful, but it did my dogs the world of good whenever they had dodgy tums, and vets will even tell you to feed it if they get upset tums, it really is fantastic stuff! The tins are cheap enough, but again, you're going to pay £1 a tin aren't you, same as my Duck and Rice JWB it would work out. I used to swear by Chappie before changing over to JWB only coz he got bored!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 04:06 PM
Skinners is a great alternative to James Wellbeloved.

Like you, I used to feed JWB but found that it got too expensive. My Lab gets through a 15kg sack in 4-5 weeks, which quickly added up!

The ingredients of Skinners Duck and Rice and Salmon and Rice are comparable to most JWB formulas. I spend roughly £18 for a 15kg sack and my dog does really well on it. Our little Yorkie will be switched over when she is old enough (she is on JWB puppy and Naturediet).
DippyLeo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 04:15 PM
Pets at Home do their own version of JWBL called Wainwrights it is actually like for like and cheaper than JWBL

I have problems with Skin (hot spots) on my newf and we have to keep clear of beef, wheat gluten & all the rubbish & additives really so as an alternative we have used Autarky which again is a bit cheaper still
JanMut
New Member!
Female 

16-06-2009, 04:17 PM
Thanks for that info. I also emailed Skinners direct this afternoon and they emailed me back almost straight away with suggestions as to which foods to use for both my dogs (GSD and cockerpoo puppy) and have put some samples in the post to me. They have also told me of the two nearest stockists who will be happy to get the food in. Really impressed with their service. Will definitely give them a try.

P.S. Is your Yorkie mad like my cockerpoo??
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 04:21 PM
You could do what I do, I use JWB wet and dry and I stock up when PAH have their special offers. When their buy one get one free offers are on (online), I buy three months supply at a time. They often have buy one get one half price or buy 18 packs of wet for the price of 12. I just stock up and rarely pay the right price for it inbetween offers.
DogBoy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

16-06-2009, 04:36 PM
+1 for Wainrights, JWB was going straight through my sprollie pup like a dose of salts
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by JanMut View Post
Thanks for that info. I also emailed Skinners direct this afternoon and they emailed me back almost straight away with suggestions as to which foods to use for both my dogs (GSD and cockerpoo puppy) and have put some samples in the post to me. They have also told me of the two nearest stockists who will be happy to get the food in. Really impressed with their service. Will definitely give them a try.

P.S. Is your Yorkie mad like my cockerpoo??
Yep, I have always been impressed by Skinners great customer service. The samples they send are very generous too.

Is the Yorkie mad? she ain't just mad, she is cream crackers. My 31kg Lab isn't particularly impressed with the little 1kg furry thang that looks like a Beanie Baby with teeth!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by DogBoy View Post
+1 for Wainrights, JWB was going straight through my sprollie pup like a dose of salts
I've heard the lamb one does that to a lot of dogs around here too!
Skyesmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-06-2009, 05:45 PM
Try CSJ mine are on the lamb and rice gluten free as my Collie can get a sensitive tummy. I changed from JWB a few months ago and my girls much prefer the CSJ

Jann
xxx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >