Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2007, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
I didn't say they never had the DNA marker for Juvenile, you misread it
Eh?? How am I misreading this quote:

as they dont yet have the genetic marker for it !!!
I agree with you - in Mals we don't yet have the genetic marker for HC, I am certainly not disputing that fact.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2007, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by Greyhawk View Post
Eh?? How am I misreading this quote:

I agree with you - in Mals we don't yet have the genetic marker for HC, I am certainly not disputing that fact.
So what are you disputing exactly ??
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2007, 08:40 PM
Who said they were breeding it for the first time ?

The test for HC is done annually and it can be clear for many years before it shows up.
So what's the difference, if this bitch has already had puppies which you would probably be fine with breeding whilst she had a clear certificate then suddenly it's bad because she's now been diagnosed?
Would you have been saying no don't breed her if she still had a clear certificate?
Becky
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2007, 08:42 PM
I didn't say they never had the DNA marker for Juvenile, you misread it
Ahhhh, I see you went back and edited the Juvenile part out of your quote at 8:38pm. It would help if you don't remove part of your posts when people are referring to them. What you initially said was:

Strange that, because not so long ago, I attended a Malamute being eye tested for HC and it came back as having Late onset, as they dont yet have the genetic marker for Juvenile !!! and on the form it was recorded as having HC !!
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2007, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
So what's the difference, if this bitch has already had puppies which you would probably be fine with breeding whilst she had a clear certificate then suddenly it's bad because she's now been diagnosed?
Would you have been saying no don't breed her if she still had a clear certificate?
Becky
This is my point. It seems that the ethical thing is to eye test, and as long as certs come back clear they are ok to breed from, but as soon (if) it comes back as HC then dont breed from it any longer.

Why breed from a dog that has it ?
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2007, 08:46 PM
Ahhhh, I see you went back and edited the Juvenile part out of your quote at 8:38pm. It would help if you don't remove part of your posts when people are referring to them. What you initially said was:
I edited as soon as I realised my brain was thinking ahead of me in what I wanted to say. It's not a crime.

You were arguing about this, long before I said that quote, so it's not all about that, I'm still none the wiser as to what you know differently than me and what exactly your argument is ???
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2007, 08:46 PM
Why breed from a dog that has it ?
Tara - no one is disputing the fact that people should not breed from dogs who have HC.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2007, 08:50 PM
Tara - no one is disputing the fact that people should not breed from dogs who have HC.

I think you are slightly confused and missing the point.

When a Mal (for example) is eye tested, if it comes back as having HC and recorded as such on the form, it can be recorded as Juvenile or simply HC.

There is a difference in the look of JHC to HC, I've seen the difference with my own eyes.

If the dog has LATE ONSET, it is still recorded as HC JUST IN CASE they later descover that it was in fact hereditary.

You argued in your original post that I was wrong in saying that dogs with it should not be bred from !!!
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2007, 08:54 PM
You argued in your original post that I was wrong in saying that dogs with it should not be bred from !!!
I think you wanted proof that dogs with any type of cataract should not be bred from. I am certainly not confused but nevermind, you have obviously seen far more cataracts than I have. Just out of curiosity, can you remember what area of the eye the cataracts you saw were in?
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2007, 08:57 PM
I think you wanted proof that dogs with any type of cataract should not be bred from. I am certainly not confused but nevermind, you have obviously seen far more cataracts than I have.
I dont need proof that dogs with JHC shouldnt be bred from, I wanted proof that dogs with HC (late onset) should not be bred from, as that is is many breed ethics anyway.

So, you are now unwiling to share anything different that you know ?
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »