Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Well, just continue living in ignorance then, thinking that e collars cause electrocution. Do you actually know anything about electricity?
Do you actually know anything about dog training?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 09:21 PM
You really are a joke! I suppose Peter Scott offered him a job as an electrician --LOL.

You are as bad as the trainer who said it wasn't electricity because it was only batteries!

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by Heather and Zak View Post
Do you actually know anything about dog training?
Rhetorical question---we now know the answer.

rune
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
He is an exceptionally intelligent dog, and learns quickly.
Then why the need to train with an e-collar? I think if you had put the time into recall and training instead of wanting a quick fix there would be no need for the use of an e-collar. Seems to me that it's the handlers that are at fault not poor Ben.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
You really are a joke! I suppose Peter Scott offered him a job as an electrician --LOL.

You are as bad as the trainer who said it wasn't electricity because it was only batteries!

rune
I beg your pardon!! How dare you be so bloody damned rude and insulting. You do not know my husband, and frankly, I don't think he would care to know YOU.

What do you mean - "you really are a joke". Are you calling me a liar? You are a totally ignorant person in any case, because the type of electronics that my husband had to learn about is light years away from an ordinary electrician, not that there is anything wrong with electricians of course.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by Heather and Zak View Post
Then why the need to train with an e-collar? I think if you had put the time into recall and training instead of wanting a quick fix there would be no need for the use of an e-collar. Seems to me that it's the handlers that are at fault not poor Ben.
Yup, that is probably a good point. But what time? How much more time could my OH, and myself at weekends, devote to attempting to train a decent recall. Do you have experience of my type of dogs Heather? I have had these types for 13 years, and I know exactly what, and what is not, achievable. 13 years is not a long time, but they are supremely intelligent - to the point when they know they are beaten. Ben accepted in 2 short lessons that if he runs away, he will have to suffer a severe jolt on his neck. Occasionally, like this weekend, he has had to be reminded - via the pager, which just vibrates. Presumably no-one thinks that that is cruel.

I hate tools of any kind, but we were at the end of the road. Currently my husband spends a good 4 hours a day on exercising and caring for the dogs. I suppose it is possible, although I very much doubt it, that he could have taught Ben a decent recall, but how much time do you want him to spend? I think our dogs have an amazing life - they are the centre of our lives, they are never left alone, we never go anywhere that our dogs cannot come with us, and they get two very long walks per day. There is no time left for teaching a northern breed dog to have a good recall. I am sure it is possible, but at what cost?

Ben is still EXACTLY the same dog as he has always been. He has not been traumatised or hurt in any way at all by his two zaps. Were this not the case, I would return the collar immediately to whence it came.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 09:41 PM
Not wishing to trade insults---much----but you and your husband are not exactly top of my wish list to meet!

You witter on about all sorts of rubbish, change direction with the wind and have no dog training ability except the one that has been bestowed on you by a SHOCK collar.

The clue is in the name. Electric shock collar---nasty electric shocks.

I don't have to call you a liar, the contradictions in your posts do that on their own.

You have taken over AP's mantle and you are on his level.

rune
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Rhetorical question---we now know the answer.

rune
Do you actually know how to allow somebody to hold a different view from yourself?

You are just pig sick, it is quite clear to me, that Ben has not been traumatised in any way whatsoever by his "shocking experience" He is blissfully happy, because he is not constantly being hassled. All he is getting is lots and lots of praise and titbits every time he comes when he is called, he is one extremely happy bunny, and we are ecstatic (no pun intended!).

I have promised that I will be the first to own up to any negative news - if everything suddenly went belly up, as clearly you are dying to see happen - then I will fess up and apologise to everyone, and to Ben in particular. But so far, so good. I would have thought by now things would be starting to show the cracks of failure if it was going to go belly up, but we are just going from strength to strength, or rather my beloved Ben is. No more Ben the git - Ben the Beloved!!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 09:42 PM
If a dog can't be trained in 4 hours a day it is a VERY poor show!

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 09:43 PM
Your beloved Ben is only beloved when he has been shocked into returning to you.

Very sad.

rune
Page 11 of 16 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »