Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-12-2010, 10:09 AM

The Dog and The Baby. Help.

I brought home our newborn on Saturday night.
Vito is extremely interested in her- wanting to be beside her all the time- trying to lick her all the time, but her crying seems to worry him and he starts crying too.

If we put her in her crib he just stares at her all the time- if she moves or makes the slightest sound he whines.

I think she is maybe making him anxious, but I don't know how to help this.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions.

Thankyou.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2010, 11:26 AM
Congratulations on the birth of your baby.

I'm not a behavioural expert, so I'll leave any advice to the experts.

I'm sure it can be sorted.....

ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2010, 11:32 AM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Your-Dog-Bab...2930987&sr=1-1
Your Dog and Your Baby: A Practical Guide
John Fisher (Foreword), Silvia Kent (Author)

Congratulations, by the way.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2010, 11:36 AM
The crying - if it is like howling - may settle the baby down - there's a youtube video of a husky settling a crying baby down by howling and I know I was settled down by OES howling as a baby

Other than that you need to consult a professional or maybe give him a few more days and buy him a new toy or something to maybe calm him down a little. You could put up more babygates to keep him away from her crib. However he may be helping you and just being protective. Sadie has been fine with the two new arrivals that her owners have had since having her so I don't really know what else to say...It does sound like he's trying to help you, sounds sweet actually but if you are really worried about it I would consult a professional

Congratulations on your baby girl - what you called her?
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-12-2010, 01:33 PM
Congratulations on your new arrival .

Whatever the reason behind his behaviour (anxious, predatory, protective, confused, jealous, concerned etc) he certainly doesn't sound calm or relaxed about her and imo, while it may be nothing, this is potential far too serious an issue to give advice over the internet without a proper assessment.

Ask your vet for a referral to a qualified, recommended behaviourist who can visit and see the interaction for themselves.