Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2008, 08:41 AM

Vegetables and fruit....?

Deacon was weaned onto meat and mixer by the breeder and it is something I have kept him on.... he is on tripe and lamb (both raw) atm....
Well Jamie expressed such an interest in Deacon's food that he was given tripe (minced green) yesterday and loved it... well it set me awondering.... would he be better on a more 'natural' diet... So I went to P@H and bought a freezer load of their tripe, chicken, beef and lamb packs!!
So I would like to ask what sort of veg and fruit can dogs eat... he adores carrots and has had peas and cucumber before too... but what else can he have and do all these need to be raw too? He does have raw carrots...
I will do some research into it... but my J is such a food fusspot and the fact that he seems to enjoy this proper food is great with me!!
Joanna28
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-01-2008, 11:32 AM
hi there,

I too am looking into what foods are best for my puppy. I was looking at some of the past threads and there is one with a detailed list on how to give the dogs raw food. It was quite interesting. It is on the 'last' page, heading, 'which food', it is originally posted by Jenny. I'm not sure if it'll answer you question totally, but might be worth a look.

I am finding it really hard to decided what is the best to feed my pup. It seems so simple, but when you start looking it gets a bit confusing. I have had cats for years, and never really thought about changing their food or worrying about it!!

Jo X
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

30-01-2008, 01:06 PM
You can process (needs to be put through a processor) as they cannot break down the fruit and veg themselves.
apples
carrots
banana
pear
strawberries
peas
sweetcorn
small amounts of brocolli,cauliflower, sprouts.
swede I then put it into ice cube trays and take a few out at a time to last a couple of days.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2008, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
You can process (needs to be put through a processor) as they cannot break down the fruit and veg themselves.
apples
carrots
banana
pear
strawberries
peas
sweetcorn
small amounts of brocolli,cauliflower, sprouts.
swede I then put it into ice cube trays and take a few out at a time to last a couple of days.
Thanks I didn't know about sweetcorn... is this all fed raw? And is that the whole cauliflower or just the white? Thanks again!!
colliemad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-01-2008, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by petticoat74 View Post
Deacon was weaned onto meat and mixer by the breeder and it is something I have kept him on.... he is on tripe and lamb (both raw) atm....
Well Jamie expressed such an interest in Deacon's food that he was given tripe (minced green) yesterday and loved it... well it set me awondering.... would he be better on a more 'natural' diet... So I went to P@H and bought a freezer load of their tripe, chicken, beef and lamb packs!!
So I would like to ask what sort of veg and fruit can dogs eat... he adores carrots and has had peas and cucumber before too... but what else can he have and do all these need to be raw too? He does have raw carrots...
I will do some research into it... but my J is such a food fusspot and the fact that he seems to enjoy this proper food is great with me!!
personally I am not certain that dogs need fruit and veg in their diet but if they like it I can't see what harm it does. If you read billinghursts books he says to liquidize it so that they can digest it but from what I remember about school it takes heat to break down plant cell walls so I can't see what difference his method would make. All of mine will eat all kinds of vegetables raw and steamed, if I am preparing raw veg they are waiting at the kitchen door for their share, they love carrots, parsnip, cauliflower stalks and leaves also broccoli and the fine green beans. They will also eat sprouts, cabbage and peas, lettuce, cucumber, tomato, not so keen on celery though Their favourite fruit is banana, the browner the better and they will pick apples and blackberries off the tree/bush and the ground. Be careful with carrots as too many will produce large amounts of orange poo with bits of carrot in and potatoes are only supposed to be fed cooked although I can't remember why Onions are not good and neither are grapes/raisins but I have fed mine mushrooms and also oranges and melon, mango and even papaya. In fact if I offer it to them they rarely refuse. With the cauliflower and cabbage leaves they usually strip the leaves off and chew them a bit and then eat the stalks so they end up all over the place but it keeps them quiet which is fine by me! The trick with fruit is not too much at once as it can make them loose especially if they are not used to it so mine have always had small amounts, bananas will break into 3 small sections so if you break off the end of one that you are eating yourself then that is a good way to try them on a small piece, it took a couple of attempts for mine to eat them but now I have to buy extra just for them.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

30-01-2008, 01:43 PM
You can use the green of the cauliflower I don't personally as he has lots of other greens,as CM said green beans are good also. I steer clear of nightshade family pototoes,tomatoes,the potatoes cooked are ok but Ollie only ever gets one roasted for his Christmas dinner. He doesn't get any pots the rest of the yearI think the potatoe and tomatoe thing are something to do with arthritis also nightshade is a poison. Grapes are toxic to dogs so one to avoid and too much of the brassica family ie: brocolli,cauliflower and sprouts are bad in huge amounts due to aggravating thyroid problems.
But they do need some as they carry lots of natural vitamins in them.
Ollie has all these raw. Also a clove of garlic crushed every night into his tea a tsp of honey a tsp of natural yoghurt 2 tsps sunflower oil and 4 tsps due to his size of a joint supplement with fish oil.
colliemad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-01-2008, 01:51 PM
Oops yes I should have said, I only feed small amounts of the veggies I mentioned, mostly as left overs (I do extra for the dogs) and some raw but they only get odd bits of tomato left over when I have had a salad and potatoes pretty much the same way as lynn perhaps a couple with christmas dinner or maybe one each at some point during the year but not regularly

As you have already filled your freezer up with meat it might be an idea to join one of the raw feeding lists and do as much research as you can before diving in? It can be easy to get carried away and then get put off when the dog gets a bit of an upset tummy. I remember I went a "bit mad" with mine at the start and over fed them and went from a very skinny dog to one that was rapidly gaining weight
covkimbo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-01-2008, 01:54 PM
My spaniel loves cooked carrot. My vet also suggested celery as a treat instead of biscuits as he is on a diet. I haven't tried this yet but i would have thought the smell would be enough to put him off!
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2008, 03:22 PM
The meat is also for little D, as he was weaned onto tripe and meat.... I am still doing my research into it... and thanks so much for your help... but Jamie is such a fuss pot and has suffered occassionally with soft poo... that I am quite prepared for a transition into a more 'natural' diet for him, rather than the canned he was on... think he will do better on it anyway... He loved his lamb this morning and tripe last night... it is so nice to see him enjoy his food rather than just eat cos he is hungry... though he does adore Butchers Tripe Mix....
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2008, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by covkimbo View Post
My spaniel loves cooked carrot. My vet also suggested celery as a treat instead of biscuits as he is on a diet. I haven't tried this yet but i would have thought the smell would be enough to put him off!
I have rabbits and guinea pigs, and jamie since he was a pup begs me each morning for carrot... he has about quarter of one raw, he also likes cucumber and has had celery....