Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2008, 10:25 PM

Have any of you relocated countries with dogs

Have any of you guys moved to another country with your dogs??

I know it is hugely expensive, but, if I have to go, so do they Really want to know how your dogs coped with it all, how where they after their flight.

OH may be getting transfered to the USA, several locations have been discussed so I can't say what state yet.

I have been pricing up different companies etc, just wanted to know more about how the dogs did mentally.
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-01-2008, 11:36 PM
My daughter moved to Hong Kong a few years ago, very expensive, she had two staffies, by the time she added the vets costs, crates, import certs etc, it came to a tidy sum.

The dogs coped very well.
emma-rose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-01-2008, 07:42 AM
Hi,

My mum moved to Thailand 3 years ago with her three dogs (a great dane, an irish wolfhound and a border collie). The cost for crating and transporting the dogs was more than for all of her house contents.

She was terrified of how the dane would cope as he had a very nervous nature and had never been in kennels. Much to everyones surprise he coped very well, as did the other two.

All three aclimatised very quickly to their new surroundings and new climate.

Sadly Jim (the dane) passed away a few months ago at the ripe old age of eleven. However, he enjoyed his retirement in the sun right to the end. The other two are still going strong and my mum has never regretted her choice to have them with her.

Em.
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2008, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by nero View Post
My daughter moved to Hong Kong a few years ago, very expensive, she had two staffies, by the time she added the vets costs, crates, import certs etc, it came to a tidy sum.

The dogs coped very well.

Thats a long flight,glad to know they coped well. I know it is very expensive, but I am not leaving them behind it's not definite yet, we are going through the pros and cons, always difficult when you have to uproot two kids as well. My daughter starts High school in Sept. so it is not the best time to be thinking of this really

Just worry how the dogs would do on a flight? The thought of them in a plane hold, wondering what the hell is going on

OH was offered a new job about 18 months ago in the US but we turned it down as we had a 13/14 year old collie who would not of coped, she died a few months later from cancer. So it was the best decision.BUt, these two are young and healthy, and it will probably worry me more than them
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2008, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by emma-rose View Post
Hi,

My mum moved to Thailand 3 years ago with her three dogs (a great dane, an irish wolfhound and a border collie). The cost for crating and transporting the dogs was more than for all of her house contents.

She was terrified of how the dane would cope as he had a very nervous nature and had never been in kennels. Much to everyones surprise he coped very well, as did the other two.

All three aclimatised very quickly to their new surroundings and new climate.

Sadly Jim (the dane) passed away a few months ago at the ripe old age of eleven. However, he enjoyed his retirement in the sun right to the end. The other two are still going strong and my mum has never regretted her choice to have them with her.

Em.

We have decided if we go we are only taking very sentimental things, no furniture, so we can afford to take the dogs.

I worry about the whole kennels, crate thing too, especially Mack, he will hate it.I can just imagine the racket he is going to make But, I can't leave them behind, "Who would want them "
I don't know if America will be ready to be Meg and Macked

Glad your Mum's dogs coped well too,it is a big worry though.