Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2007, 08:22 PM

fruit and veg?

hayy
as i have mentioned in previous posts i am in the process of switching suki's food over to frozen minced meat (prize choice 400g) when i rung them up they said to top up suki's diet with fruit and veg (200 grams per day) i have tried apple and carrot so far but not sure what i should and shouldnt try any idea? thanks
ATD xxx
leospride
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-03-2007, 10:47 PM
I’ve used carrots (not much as they are high in sugar), green beans, cucumbers, broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, swede, I use frozen veggies. When I’m ready to make a mush I thaw the frozen veggies by putting them in a colander and running warm water over them for a minute or so. Then I pop them in the blender, adding water - about half a cup - for about 5 minutes

Fruit I've used:
apples, bananas, pears, oranges, strawberries - all in moderation and for training
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2007, 11:57 PM
I'm of the opinion that while it doesn't harm the dog to add fruits and vegetables, it isn't really necessary. Your dogs diet is balanced with raw meaty bones and offal.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-03-2007, 11:58 PM
I go on the market every Friday and get cauli, broccoli, carrots and apples, also bananas. I chop it into tiny pieces and put it in the blender, I don't add water as there is enough in the apple, and then I have a tray in the fridge and freeze the rest in yogurt pots and then after I have used the tray up in the fridge I just get a yogurt pot out and leave it to thaw. They have a banana each every lunchtime along with a bone. I have also added mushrooms, strawberries and courgettes when they have been going at a reduced price or when they are on offer. The other thing they like is half a melon each, they also enjoyed half a (small) pumpkin each.
Brandi's Mom
New Member!
Female 

08-03-2007, 12:54 AM
I home cooked for my previous sheltie who suffered from allergies. I always used apples, pears, peaches, melon of all kinds (the meat not the rind) just be sure not to feed seeds or stones from the fruit. Vegetables used but not necessarilly at the same time were all squashes, pumpkin for sure, green beans, a little brocolli, cauliflower, a little spinach and fresh parsley which is a natural antibiotic.

I never cooked any of the vegetables only fed fresh and fresh frozen pureed in a blender and drained.
ozmutt
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-03-2007, 03:01 AM
My dear little one absolutley loves her fruit and vegies.

Just don't include grapes, avocados, onions or potatos or anything else in the "nightshade" family - tomatos, bell peppers (capsicum).
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2007, 11:30 AM
thanks for that
off to the fruit n veg store after to see what she likes lol. its amazing she has been on this diet for 2 days (im still mixing with her oiginal) and her poo is solid and a lot smaller also she seem so much less hypa which is so much better
ATD xxx
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

08-03-2007, 11:34 AM
You will find that her poo becomes like little marbles as she will use almost everything that she eats so there is very little end product. If the poo becomes white and crumbly there is too much bone, so I usually give extra veg or ox heart or something like that.You will find that you become a dedicated 'poo watcher' as it is an excellent indication of what is going on inside. I actually mix up a tin of peeled plum tomatos in the blender with the veg as it is anti-cancerous, also sardines, pilchards or mackrel in tomato sauce every couple of days or so.