Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2011, 10:14 PM

Reasonable force?

Anyone seen this and any thoughts, such as what is reasonable force to defend your home? and would you think 4 masked men breaking in is "just a break in"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ester-13885457
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2011, 11:36 AM
The link doesnt work...
But i know which story it is.

I think he was right to do what he did, i would do the same in those circumstances. To be fair, the police have to arrest and charge him, their hands are tied, last i heard it was still a murder charge but would think it will probably be reduced to manslaughter...especially as it seems the knife was the burglars own!

With regards to reasonable force...it is a bit blurry in terms of the law, but in simple terms it is to use enough force to prevent serious harm to you or your family(or those around you)...but then who decides the force you used was too much? A jury i guess...people that werent there at the time have to decide whether you, in the seconds you had time to react, reacted within the 'boundaries' of reasonable force.

Changes definitely need to be made...
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2011, 12:08 AM
If 4 masked men broke into my house and my family was in danger I would probably do the same thing if a knife was within reach of me. So would my husband. I would risk prison to defend them. I certainly wouldn't stop to ask "Erm excuse me sir.....do intend to hurt us?"!!
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2011, 08:53 AM
I think it must be frightening enough to find a young teenager in your house nicking your playstation, let alone finding a gang of 4 men in balaclavas in your home - who knows what their intentions are? If it came down to them or me and my family, I know what I would choose....